• Register
  • Help

Topic: Choir sounds -- simple help needed

Share/Bookmark

Choir sounds -- simple help needed

Hi, Gary et al:

Because I conduct both the chamber orchestra and chorale in my university, I'm constantly arranging music for them.

However, I cannot get the choral oo-s, oh-s and ah-s to work in GPO (Sib 5.2, KP2 with all updates). Sib5.2/GPO gives me piano sounds instead.

I've spent considerable time reading the forum vocal posts and wound up thoroughly confused.

Questions:

1. How does one get the basic oo-s, ah-s and oh-s to work in the Sib 5.2/GPO combo?

2. There are better choral sounds out there -- what are they, how expensive are they, do I need other equipment/software to use them?

3. Where is Gary's choral library?

Garyth Nair

P.s. Gary -- my research field is vocal acoustics and I've published books and papers on the subject ... I offer this resource if it would help.

Re: Choir sounds -- simple help needed

What instruments are listed in the Mixer? Assuming you have a 4 voice score, is each voice set to S/A/T/B? That is your first issue, and it's hard to diagnose from your description - perhaps a screen shot might help.

Once you get the vocal sounds to work ( are you using the Sibelius Choral Library, which is a subset of the upcoming Garritan library?), you can get the ahs, oohs, and ees, by simply writing above the parts using Technique Text.

You might also post this question on the Sibelius board.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: Choir sounds -- Reply to Ron

Ron:

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions ...

1. What instruments are listed in the Mixer? See the accompanying jpg.

2. Assuming you have a 4 voice score, is each voice set to S/A/T/B? ... a screen shot might help. See the accompanying jpg.

3. Are you using the Sibelius Choral Library? Until you mentioned this, I didn't know that it existed (with what is happening to the economy, my department may not be able to spring for the cost of this Sib add-on). Two questions come quickly in response:

• Are there decent generic choral sounds available?
    • If my department will buy the Sib Choral Lib, how does one get it to work with GPO loaded (yes, I'm that naive)?
    Again, Thanks,

Garyth

Re: Choir sounds -- Reply to Ron

Quote Originally Posted by gnair View Post
    Ron:

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions ...

1. What instruments are listed in the Mixer? See the accompanying jpg.

2. Assuming you have a 4 voice score, is each voice set to S/A/T/B? ... a screen shot might help. See the accompanying jpg.

3. Are you using the Sibelius Choral Library? Until you mentioned this, I didn't know that it existed (with what is happening to the economy, my department may not be able to spring for the cost of this Sib add-on). Two questions come quickly in response:

• Are there decent generic choral sounds available?
    • If my department will buy the Sib Choral Lib, how does one get it to work with GPO loaded (yes, I'm that naive)?
    Again, Thanks,

Garyth
    Gartyth,

No jpg - not sure why not...

I can only answer #4 - if you are not using the Sib Choral ( again, a Garritan product), then this is the wrong forum; you should be doing this on the Sib forum. If you have it, it is not hard to make it work with GPO - reading the chapter on VST in the Sib help guide ( a pdf that comes with Sib) will get you going.

As to whether or not there are generic sounds that are decent - well that is in the ear of the beholder...One inexpensive way to go is to use Papelmedia's soundbank (http://papelmedia.de/): it's very inexpensive. When the Garritan Choir library comes out, it will be superb, no doubt.

If you can try the jpg thing again, we may get closer...
    Last edited by rpearl; 10-26-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: can't type...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Re: Choir sounds -- Ron II

Ron:

Sorry about that, long day! I thought that I knew how to attach the files, but find that I don't.

Thanks for the information. Do we know when the Garritan is coming out? In the meantime, I will post on the Sib forum and look at the sounds you suggested.

G

I second the Papelmedia recommendation. Adult and children choirs plus solo voices. You can use them as soundfonts or vst instruments. I have always loaded them with a mix of GPO instruments via the equally cheap (or free version)SFZ and never had a problem.

I will try the Papelmedia sometime mid-week. I've never used anything in Sibelius other than GPO so have no experience with soundfonts or vsts (I'll do some research when I have a chance).

A friend said that he thought that there were choir sounds in Sibelius Essentials (which I understand should be able to be loaded into my Sib5.2). Do those work with GPO as additional sounds, or, do they work as a standalone?

Many thanks for the reply ... I'll also post on the Sib forum later.

Greetings to Salisbury with its incredible cathedral ... years ago (late middle ages) I had a wonderful visit there.

Garyth

I second the Papelmedia recommendation. Adult and children choirs plus solo voices. You can use them as soundfonts or vst instruments. I have always loaded them with a mix of GPO instruments via the equally cheap (or free version)SFZ and never had a problem.

Not to slight Baltimore with its great museum and waterfront!

G

Garyth,

Yes, there are choral sounds with Sibelius - they are a part of the Sibelius Essential Sounds. Make certain they are installed, of course. Then in the Playback Devices, Activate a Kontakt Player 2, and select the soundset for Sibelius Sounds; you can have as many KP2s as you like, so you can use the sounds with GPO, or any other library.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Go Back to forum