• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "The Appetizer" (orchestral piece)

"The Appetizer" (orchestral piece)

Hello -

It's been a LONG while since I posted anything in the Listening Room. Its been a LOOONG time since I finished writing another orchestral composition. (I wish that there were more hours in a day and more days in a week. )

Anyway. . .

Here's another orchestral piece titled, "The Appetizer". Click Here It's actually the second number of a series of composition (still in the writing) that will form my first, ever, musical suite. The title of this suite will be "Musical Sweet". Pun intended!

The Appetizer utilizes the same orchestral instrumentation (and instrumental libraries) of the previous composition that I posted here back in April 2008 that it now titled The Menu. (The Menu used to be titled "Industrial Pleasure".) About 75 to 80% of the instruments used are from the GPO and JABB libraries (of course!). I also use Garritan's Stradivari for the solo violin sounds. (Why was that wonderful library discontinued??? ) As mentioned in previous posts, I've never been extensively trained in orchestration. Many, many, many moons ago I've taken very basic percussion and basic string writing courses. Unfortunately, that's the extent of formal education in writing for the orchestra (which took place 25+ years ago!).

I'm having a BLAST! (Whenever I make the time to actually write any music, that is.) I've already started writing the third orchestral composition to my "Musical Sweet". Who knows?!?! I might even finish the next piece by the end of 2008! For now, though, I share to you my second composition to "Musical Sweet", The Appetizer .

With regards to the composition itself, it is what it is. Please feel free to offer comments/suggestions with regards to the orchestration and mix. The orchestration and mix can easily be modified/edited.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to listen to the piece.

As always, Happy Composing, folks!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: "The Appetizer" (orchestral piece)

Hi Ted. I find original a suite that is related only to food. The appetizer is a very pleasant work, light and graceful. About the orchestration i think you´ve chosen a good combination of both libraries, giving a sound that is not completely formal but lighthearted. I hope listen the rest of the "menu". Thanks for share it.

I was looking forward to a new work by you, and I am not disappointed!

I wouldn't change anything in the instrumentation, everything is spot on.

Although you meant it to be orientated around food, I had a slightly different picture in mind when hearing 'The Appetizer'.

Somehow it sounded to me like the introduction part of a music show, when the orchestra starts playing, the curtains open and one can see the scenery and the actors as they come out on stage, doing this or that before the actual scene starts.
    So it is the ‘appetizer’ of the show…

Thanks for posting this refreshing, well composed and orchestrated piece of your suite, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

On to your next piece…

Very nice listen, Ted.

I can agree with Yudit on this as well. It sounded like and opening to a show. It has a nice waltz feel to it and flows nicely. Just a personal thing but, I would like to hear more dynamic contrasts. Everything seems to flow along at a mezzo forte level.

Is that an accordian playing the opening melody? I think after listening to it again that it is combination with some woodwinds. Maybe (if it is an accordian) that it could be brought forward in the mix (or everything else brought back farther in the mix). The overall mix is very nice. I hear a nice blend all the time and I can hear all the instruments. The stereo field seems to be at a nice spread.

Congrats on a job well done!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Very refreshing score. The 3/4 time gives it a real lift as
    it moves merrily along.

I think your instrumentation was very well chosen. They
    really go with the intent of the piece. The percussion,
    although light, makes certain points in the score come
    alive. So, I wouldn't change anything either.

I also don't know that I can mentally apply this to "food,"
    but, to me, it sounds like it could be applied to a ballet

BRAVO, Ted and good to hear some more of your music.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

love that bass clarinet
    cool Ted!

I have this pain right here that... Oh, wait a minute...wrong subject.

What a clever and entertaining piece of music you have written, Theodore! I love your chordal progressions...they're delightfully unpredictable.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm proud of you, young man.

My Best,

Larry G. Alexander

First. . . to everyone. . . thank you for taking the time to listen to this piece and sharing your comment!

Victor -

I most certainly will be sharing the "rest of the menu" once written. By the way, I enjoy eating well cooked meals. My most loving wife is a great cook! I am most grateful to say that we eat good tasting food. Her wonderful cooking is one inspiration to the title of "Musical Sweet". The other inspiration is the fact that I LOVE puns!

Yudit -

Actually, with regards to the title of the piece, there really is no connection meant to exist between the title and the actual music. I'm just keeping with the "food thing" with regards to titles. LOL!

I do LOVE musicals, though. I've done a number of musicals though out the years. At times, I do tend to write music with a musical-theatre style feel to them.

Rich -

Oh. . . the dynamics. I think that I have to re-strategize how I set up each "virtual instrument" when I sequence (if that makes sense). I tend to set-up each instrument at -6 db in volume within the Kontakt program. I might need to lower this a bit, depending on the instrument. I also think that I might need to adjust the velocity curve to my controller keyboard, too. Sometimes I find it difficult to play really soft notes when using this particular keyboard (it's a Keystation Pro 88 by M-Audio). I agree with you, though, there is much more room for more variation in the dynamic level.

Regarding the instrument playing the opening melody. It's an English Horn from GPO. It's one of my favorite sounding wood wind instruments, actually. I also like the sound of the oboe.

Jack -

I LOVE the 3/4 meter! (I also love the 5/8 and 7/4 meters as well, but that's another tale for another time! LOL! ) Although this is true for ANY metered music, I really enjoy the rhythmic possibilities found in the 3/4 waltz meter.

With regards to the title, again there's no deliberate intent to connect the title to the music. Creating titles for my compositions does not come easy for me. I'm happy with "Composition #1" and "Composition #2", etc., and never actually come up with regular titles to the music. LOL!

Dan -

I love the bass clarinet sound too, Dan! Especially found within the JABB library, I think the bass clarinet sound is just grand! I use it quite frequently.

Mr. Larry -

With regards with the pain. . . take two aspirin and call the doc in the. . .

Wait. . . . wrong subject! LOL!

I love chord progressions of all kinds. Actually, sometimes I start with the chord progression then sculpt a melody to it. Usually, though, I start with the melody or melodic theme (depending on the style of music). Long live chord progressions!

Happy music writing, folks!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

It has been a long time, but this piece was worth the wait.

For some reason I thought you were into jazz before. Maybe it was just one piece?

Everything goes together very well in this. The themes are woven together well and the percussion fits in spotlessly.

Very nice piece!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

What fun! I thouroughly enjoyed this, old bean. Accessible without being predictable, and a convicing arrangement and recording.

Very nice! Look forward to your next dish.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast