• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS + AO (Good combination?)

Share/Bookmark

GOS + AO (Good combination?)

Hello all,
    I\'m new to Gigastudio, and I\'m looking to get
    a couple of orchestral libraries to provide a good solid base of sounds (mainly classical)
    I was wondering if Advanced Orchestra and Garritan Orchestral Strings would be a good choice.
    I have heard good things about AO in general, but many people complain about the strings being sampled too close to the mic, and other issues. On the other hand, I just listened to all the demos at Gary Garritan\'s site, and I\'m completely blown away by the incredible quality of his library.
    I would appreciate some input from the users that have experience with these libraries, because I\'m haunted by indecission right now...
    Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by MrArkadine (edited 02-08-2002).]

Re: GOS + AO (Good combination?)

No answers so far have been wrong, but you guys could be a little more specific, huh?
    Just kidding...
    I\'m listening for your opinions on this!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrArkadine:
    No answers so far have been wrong, but you guys could be a little more specific, huh?
    Just kidding...
    I\'m listening for your opinions on this!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing as I\'m doing a little cusomary skiving from work: You\'ll find that this subject has been done to death here with all sorts of argey-bargey going on. (it may take a while before someone answers). Try searching around and you\'ll get the picture - but with plenty of great info also, I\'m sure enough to answer your questions.

I don\'t think there is any doubt that GOS is in a different league from the other offerings (especially when you factor in price).

AO might be different though. You might do better getting your brass/woodwinds/perc. elsewhere, then you can really choose exactly what you want.

You should be prepared to do an awful lot of online research before you take the plunge. There are plenty of great libraries. Donnie\'s percussion is very highly regarded and there are Dan Dean\'s woodwinds/brass, Xsample woodwinds/brass, Worras brass QL Brass, Marten\'s FREE trumpets.

I don\'t want to be negative about AO, but I believe there are better, newer libraries that more fully utilize Giga technology. Search and you\'ll find all the good and bad points.

Garritan is also coming out with some solo strings that promise much. Sonic implants is coming out soon with strings also (and Dan Dean\'s solo strings are just wonderful - I do have those).

I would hold off on AO until you are absolutely sure that they fit your bill.

You may also want to look into the new Prosonous CD at Big Fish Audio.

Cheaper than AO

I have both AO and GOS. AO isn\'t as bad as some...and even I...say. I used it for a little bit and with good mixing and writing you can get great results. I personally dont like the French horns for loud passages, but they are great for softer stuff.

I still think AO is a library people should have, even if you ahve a bunch of others. Its more like \"fill in/layer\" library for me. Not really one I Rely on to get a particular sound.

Still it will get you by. Espiecially if you dont rely on it for Strings Which are its weakest point IMO.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:
    Seeing as I\'m doing a little cusomary skiving from work: You\'ll find that this subject has been done to death here with all sorts of argey-bargey going on. (it may take a while before someone answers). Try searching around and you\'ll get the picture - but with plenty of great info also, I\'m sure enough to answer your questions.

I don\'t think there is any doubt that GOS is in a different league from the other offerings (especially when you factor in price).

AO might be different though. You might do better getting your brass/woodwinds/perc. elsewhere, then you can really choose exactly what you want.

You should be prepared to do an awful lot of online research before you take the plunge. There are plenty of great libraries. Donnie\'s percussion is very highly regarded and there are Dan Dean\'s woodwinds/brass, Xsample woodwinds/brass, Worras brass QL Brass, Marten\'s FREE trumpets.

I don\'t want to be negative about AO, but I believe there are better, newer libraries that more fully utilize Giga technology. Search and you\'ll find all the good and bad points.

Garritan is also coming out with some solo strings that promise much. Sonic implants is coming out soon with strings also (and Dan Dean\'s solo strings are just wonderful - I do have those).

I would hold off on AO until you are absolutely sure that they fit your bill.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks for your answer. It seems clear that GOS is a very powerful library (and getting better due to the updates and changes being done to it, much by Mr King (Idiot? Yeah, right)). So, I have pretty much decided to go with GOS for most of the string section in most situations.
    The problem, as you commented, comes with the rest of the orchestra (brass, woodwinds, percusion and whathaveyou).
    It\'s kind of tough to make a decision just based on comments and demos, without hands on experience with the different libraries.
    There\'s a general consensus that there are better specialized libraries for Brass, woodwind, and percusion than AO.
    What really attracts me to AO however is that it would seem a reasonably powerful (albeit slightly outdated) option for anything but the strings (which we already got covered with GOS). Also, the price doesn\'t seem as bad as getting separate specialized libraries for each section (I\'ve seen AO for less than $800 USD)
    I\'m obviously going to have some more digging around in the forums and in the newsgroups though, to get a better feel for this before making such a substantial (for my pockets) investment.
    Anyways...Back to my indecission
    Thanks again for the reply, and get back to work before your boss catches you redhanded!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    You may also want to look into the new Prosonous CD at Big Fish Audio.

Cheaper than AO

I have both AO and GOS. AO isn\'t as bad as some...and even I...say. I used it for a little bit and with good mixing and writing you can get great results. I personally dont like the French horns for loud passages, but they are great for softer stuff.

I still think AO is a library people should have, even if you ahve a bunch of others. Its more like \"fill in/layer\" library for me. Not really one I Rely on to get a particular sound.

Still it will get you by. Espiecially if you dont rely on it for Strings Which are its weakest point IMO.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    First of all, let me say that I\'ve only been gathering information in this forum for a couple of days, and I am sure that your nick must be the worst alias ever (Unless you\'re using a hefty dose of irony, which I\'m pretty sure you are!). I got sorted out a couple of people that DO deserve something like that in their name though. And we\'re not talking in an ironical sense either...
    Getting back on track, I\'m going to check the Prosonous CD that you mention, and see how it sounds.
    Really, like Z6 said in his post, I need to do much research and pondering before forking out several hundred semolians.
    The thing is, I have listened several mp3\'s posted in the demo section of this site of people that were using AO, and the results sounded pretty good to my untrained ear. Ok, not as good as the London Philarmonic, but I don\'t think there\'s any sample library that still sounds like that, YET...
    So, maybe I should just get AO now and learn my Gigastudio and orchestration, and then go for GOS and some other brass, woodwind, etc libraries to complement?
    I really wish money wouldn\'t be an issue here, and then I would order everything. (Time better not be an issue either )
    Lastly, I gotta say it\'s really great that you are working on extending the GOS library.
    Some people should learn from you. Less bitching, and more working to fix things...
    BTW, how\'s the Grand Detache modifications going?
    Off to the couch for some Jessica Al..ehem Dark Angel
    Sorry to all people with good taste for the excesive smileys, blinkeys, and stinkeys. You can really tell I\'ve only been using this forum for a couple hours and I\'m kind of trigger happy.

[This message has been edited by MrArkadine (edited 02-08-2002).]

I agree with KING, that AO is a very good library. And also that strings are it\'s weakest point. Prosonus has some good strings, at least the Roland version of their string library did. AO is really quite thorough in terms of staccatos, runs, loud and soft samples, trills etc for each and every section of the orchestra. Unless I missed something, you dont find that in too many libraries. The giga version of AO is very well thought out and programmed for great key-switching in Gigastudio.

Hey MrArk,

Thanks. The Detache extensions ave been done. I just need the time to focus on touching up problematic samples. Which I dont really have right now.

I tried my best to extend the actual samples without using the \"staggering\" techinique using up and down bows. This was pretty difficult, but I did it. NOw looping and \"fixing\" hopefully withing the next week or so.

About the AO and the other libraries.

One thing I\'d like to mention is that while AO has a lot, if you\'re not familiar with all the instruments you may find yourself frustrated with the way your music turns out.

I ahve to say that having a good library is a GREAT teaching tool. I was personally really frustrated with my music when I only used AO. When I picked up GOS I finally began to realize what string writing was all about.....which re-enforced the fact that I know nothing about string writing....but I was finally able to realise what I needed to learn

Anyhow, AO is great. Not fantastic...still remember wwhen it came out. for a thousand bucks and to get ALL of that. That was pretty incredible. Its a great library for how old it is.

I have yet to see a library that offers 5 CDs of pretty usable material in as much variety.

It isn\'t a STRONG library in any particular area, atleast by todays standard, but it is still a library any orchestral composer should have IMO. In fact I would love to see an AO community similar to the GOS one building up. Its a library so many people ahve and may be able to push farther. makes me wantt o tweak on some of those samples rather than some of the newer libraries

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Kral:
    I agree with KING, that AO is a very good library. And also that strings are it\'s weakest point. Prosonus has some good strings, at least the Roland version of their string library did. AO is really quite thorough in terms of staccatos, runs, loud and soft samples, trills etc for each and every section of the orchestra. Unless I missed something, you dont find that in too many libraries. The giga version of AO is very well thought out and programmed for great key-switching in Gigastudio.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Robert,
    Yes, I know AO isn\'t as bad as some people make it out to be (for being such an old library), that is if we avoid the strings, which seems to be the general opinion on this.
    Really, I\'m not to worried about the strings, because GOS is going to cover those pretty much. I\'m more interested in comparing different libraries\' bass, woodwind, and to a lesser extent percussion sections.
    I read a review (I think the gentleman that reviewed AO was Bruce Richardson), and he mentioned that the brass and woodwinds, as well as percussion (does vibraphone qualify as percussion? I think so), were very well done in AO. That\'s why I thought AO to be a good first starting library to complement down the road with GOS.
    Something I\'m a little weary of is the problems with some instruments being transposed in the keyboard to make room for the control keys and such, although there seem to be nice and easy ways to deal with it.
    So, the jury is still out, but I\'m going to be considering AO very seriously. Plus some other libraries mentioned by Z6, and the Prosonous Orchestral library mentioned by KingIdiot.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    Hey MrArk,

Thanks. The Detache extensions ave been done. I just need the time to focus on touching up problematic samples. Which I dont really have right now.

I tried my best to extend the actual samples without using the \"staggering\" techinique using up and down bows. This was pretty difficult, but I did it. NOw looping and \"fixing\" hopefully withing the next week or so.

About the AO and the other libraries.

One thing I\'d like to mention is that while AO has a lot, if you\'re not familiar with all the instruments you may find yourself frustrated with the way your music turns out.

I ahve to say that having a good library is a GREAT teaching tool. I was personally really frustrated with my music when I only used AO. When I picked up GOS I finally began to realize what string writing was all about.....which re-enforced the fact that I know nothing about string writing....but I was finally able to realise what I needed to learn

Anyhow, AO is great. Not fantastic...still remember wwhen it came out. for a thousand bucks and to get ALL of that. That was pretty incredible. Its a great library for how old it is.

I have yet to see a library that offers 5 CDs of pretty usable material in as much variety.

It isn\'t a STRONG library in any particular area, atleast by todays standard, but it is still a library any orchestral composer should have IMO. In fact I would love to see an AO community similar to the GOS one building up. Its a library so many people ahve and may be able to push farther. makes me wantt o tweak on some of those samples rather than some of the newer libraries
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    King,

Kudos on the Grand Detache\'s work. That\'s going to add a lot to the library. (I had a short conversation via email with Damon, and he was telling me that much of the expressiveness of his take on Shawshank Redemption Prison Theme could be credited to the Grand Detaches, and that even though they would only play for 2 seconds or so, an extension was being made (By you ))
    I understand what you mean by being frustrated when all you had available was the AO library, and you wanted to get that special sound. I\'m sure that with the experience that you have under your belt now manipulating samples, you would probably be able to get by pretty well with some tinkering though...
    I checked out the few demos of the Prosonous Orchestral library at Big Fish Audio. What I gather basically is that the sound quality is perhaps better than AO, but that there\'s less ammount of articulations and control overall.
    This would be consistent with the fact that we are comparing 2 newly recorded CDs versus 5 older recorded CDs.
    The price factor is in favor of the Prosonous library, but let me make you a simple question: If you had to get by for 6 months with just an orchestral library (and bearing in mind the emphasis in brass, woodwinds and percussions, because GOS will eventually cover the strings section), which one would you choose, Prosonous or AO?
    Lastly, how do you go about editing samples in terms of tools? Do you do it within GigaStudio, or use something like CoolEdit Pro? Please, don\'t answer if this is an industrial secret
    Also, I admire people that work to improve things and build on what\'s standing for the community, even without getting a dime out of it, so...If you ever need to get a website going, I\'ll be willing to help you (I have worked as web designer for a while, and though I might not be the best, I think I\'m pretty good). So let me know
    Peace

Go Back to forum