• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Journey East

Share/Bookmark

Journey East

This is a piece I wrote the other week that has an Eastern/Central Asia feel to it. It mostly pentatonic, but not totally. I intended to try and capture the beauty and vastness of the landscapes of the area. It starts with a single voice then a bass flute and the Gofriller play along. Its followed by a short section with all the strings then goes into the main theme.

The main part has steel drums in the bass and the rest of the orchestra playing along. It starts with the Gofriller playing the melody then is repeated an octave up with the Stradivari. Both parts have different instruments accompanying them with gives them totally different feels.

Afterwords, the theme section is repeated with taiko drums playing the rhythm with a large reverb trying to represent the immense openness of the countryside. Its a bit repetitive, but I basically tried to write a theme and play around with it.

I hope you enjoy, and thanks for listening.

*All instruments minus the Steel Drums, Japanese Flute, and Taiko Drums are Garritan products

Journey East
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Journey East

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    This is a piece I wrote the other week that has an Eastern/Central Asia feel to it. It mostly pentatonic, but not totally. I intended to try and capture the beauty and vastness of the landscapes of the area. It starts with a single voice then a bass flute and the Gofriller play along. Its followed by a short section with all the strings then goes into the main theme.

The main part has steel drums in the bass and the rest of the orchestra playing along. It starts with the Gofriller playing the melody then is repeated an octave up with the Stradivari. Both parts have different instruments accompanying them with gives them totally different feels.

Afterwords, the theme section is repeated with taiko drums playing the rhythm with a large reverb trying to represent the immense openness of the countryside. Its a bit repetitive, but I basically tried to write a theme and play around with it.

I hope you enjoy, and thanks for listening.

*All instruments minus the Steel Drums, Japanese Flute, and Taiko Drums are Garritan products

Journey East
    I enjoyed this Keith. The melody is both haunting and very atmospheric which are two of my favourite qualities in music. Given the variety of texture and sound, I didn't find this at all repetitive. This is well constructed and makes good use of the resources. Possibly in real life the instruments might balance a little differently but I don't think that matters too much in this case. Thanks for posting.

Kind regards, Graham

Excellent Keith, it sounds very profound and spiritual, is a journey to the soul. The use of the instruments is superb, transmiting each one life and richness of meaning. Congratulations!.

Victor

Keith,

I really really was fascinated with your textures and flow of this piece. I also took some time to listen to some of your other compositions. You have a real gift for atmospheric music.

I especially enjoyed the use of the steel drums in this. One usually hears them in joyful Caribbean type music;reggae and such, but the use here was hypnotic and a perfect compliment to the cello and violin.

My only suggestion would be to easy up, just a bit though, on the taiko drums when the other instruments are playing with it. Kind of drowned them out a bit. When the taikos are playing by themselves at the beginning and end (and middle) the volume was perfect where it was. This is just an IMO and could be due to my lousy speakers.

Anyway, great piece, great rendering. Keep up the excellent work!

Cass

Keith,

This is beautifully written and rendered; very evocative and image-inspiring. The use of the cello in a pentatonic/modal setting reminds me of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - but not in an imitative way, but more as in-the-tradition-of manner. While this sounds wonderful on its own, I imagine it would be even more effective with a visual/film element.

Bravo!!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Keith -

This is a beautiful composition. Through your writing, choice of instrumentation, orchestration and sequencing, you've painted a very vivid "picture". Really nice job with the Gofriller Cello, by the way!

Thank you for providing a very pleasant listen, and a muchly needed calming and scenic journey.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Well, to my old ears, you have captured a very, very nice mood. The melody is really nice and the Taiko drums are interesting. I get some sense at times of a Celtic melody that is brooding about a deep lost sadness. I also get the mid-eastern/asian influence in the pentatonic sections. This piece is certainly full of mysteries. It is also rich in sonorities. You have done an excellent job. Congratulations!

My only negative (and it is a personal thing) is that I hear only one melodic pattern and no contrasting pattern. You could really expand this piece if you contrasted the excellent melody you have with another, say an A-B-A form. Just a thought and only that. I loved what I heard!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Keith:

Really great score here.......Loved everything about it and
    especially the Gofriller Cello. The Japanese flute has a great
    sound.

Percussion is "right on." Really gives this piece the extra
    atmosphere it needs to go "over the top." Such smoothe
    cymbals too........

Very, very enjoyable listen, keith

BRAVO

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

very cool Keith!

Dan

Keith,

You are a master of minimalism. So much said with so simple and sparse a score. Absolutely wonderful.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast