• Register
  • Help

Topic: HELP !!! my computer still freeze after coming back from a long period of inactivity

Share/Bookmark

HELP !!! my computer still freeze after coming back from a long period of inactivity

I tried turning off everything in the power management control panel, it was not any better. So I tried turning power management off from CMOS, still no improvement ( when I do this I see a exclamation mard in the \" advanced Power Management \" in the device manager within the system properties.
    My problem is that when I don\'t use the computer for a while, it freezes when coming back from inactivity ( it happens most of the times, not always ). HELP !!!!

My rig is a P III 550, 196 ram, 13.5 quantum ATA 7200 rpm. I only use it for /Gigasampler, Acid and Sound Foege.

Re: HELP !!! my computer still freeze after coming back from a long period of inactivity

I used to have the same problem. I disabled APM in Device Manager(doubleclick on APM support and disable). I also turned off APM in CMOS. My icon for APM in Device Manager is crossed out. I think my problems may have stemmed from APM and ACPI not being able to work together. No problems since I got rid of APM. Hard disks and monitor goes to sleep by ACPI.

Hans

Re: HELP !!! my computer still freeze after coming back from a long period of inactivity

Thanks Hans for the reply,

One last question...When you said \" Hard disks and monitor goes to sleep by ACPI \", what is ACPI ??? where and how do you have it set up ??? Thanks

I am no computer expert, but this is how I understand it to be:
    APM is power management run from CMOS(BIOS). ACPI is a power management run from Windows 98 (and 95?). ACPI is the newer standard.

If you go: Start/Settings/Control Panel, There should be an icon: \"Power Management\" in Control Panel. Click on it and there are settings for you to adjust. I have \"Power Scheme\": \"Always On\". At the bottom you can choose time of inactivity before hard drive and monitor shuts down. This will only work if your BIOS has ACPI implemented. I think it can be implemented to a higher or lower degree. It may also not be implemented if your motherboard is older.

Good Luck, Hans

Go Back to forum