• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Topic: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    Hi all,
    As I was starting to wipe my PC and start from scratch (big job) I thought i'd ask around for some advice from any tech gurus out there.

    Firstly i'll say my system has been running fine for 2 years. About a month ago, Stylus started going all over the place with timing, both standalone and within a Project, as have other VST Instruments - there's a huge latency delay, even though no settings have been changed from before with the soundcard drivers, which I have also re-installed. Audio plays fine, as does triggering an external sampler.
    Have I accidentally changed something in Cubase with regards to VST instruments?
    I have some soundfiles you can hear - I can put them on a site or if I can post them (very small) here let me know.
    I'm running Cubase SX3, XP on a P4 dual with 1 gig RAM - full system listing available - though as I said, everything has been running fine up till now.
    Can any kind soul help me avoid a complete re-install?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong, CHINA
    Posts
    189

    Re: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    I'm not sure I can help at ALL -- except to say that it does sound to me like it's something within Cubase.

    I assume you have probably checked your soundcard's latency settings a million times, but are you sure the soundcard settings within Cubase are all as they should be? Have you chosen the correct ASIO driver in the Device Setup panels?

    Having said that, your description sounds like it's not that at all -- probably something with VST settings, MIDI (or MIDI plugins), or the PDC (plugin delay compensation). Read about PDC on page 290 of the manual (re: constrain the PDC) -- I would suggest messing about with that a little to rule it out (I had a problem with that once).

    Rather than focusing on your VSTi's (if it affects multiple instruments, it's not THEM that are the problem), I would wonder if you are running any EFFECTS on those tracks, or if you've installed any new effects plugins recently that might have contributed to this. Compressors and limiters always add a big delay/latency to playback.

    Anyway -- those are just random thoughts -- probably won't help much -- but I sure hope you can narrow it down and figure it out. I've "been there, done that" with wierd timing problems in SX3, and though I've been riding smooth for 3 or 4 years, I know how frustrating it can be -- you just feel HELPLESS until you can figure it out!

    GOOD LUCK...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia PA USA
    Posts
    347

    Re: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    Hi..How do you get RMX to run stand alone..??? JON

  4. #4

    Re: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    Sorry, I meant outside of any project. Still within Cubase.

    Thanks for the suggestions, i'll try those and some other tweaks later and let you know.
    Thing about the delay/ timing errors, if I play a track, the audio parts are perfectly fine, with FX, but the 'live' Stylus track and any other VST instruments are stuttering.
    It does the same thing as when you use Stylus 'standalone,' ie - for a brand new project.
    Any clues?

    If I unsintall/ reinstall Cubase, is there a way to keep all the FX and instruments intact?

  5. #5

    Re: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    Yes...FX settings and user presets are saved in folders on your harddrive. Make a copy of those folders...and after installing RMX put the folders back.

  6. #6

    Re: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by daznez View Post
    Sorry, I meant outside of any project. Still within Cubase.

    Thanks for the suggestions, i'll try those and some other tweaks later and let you know.
    Thing about the delay/ timing errors, if I play a track, the audio parts are perfectly fine, with FX, but the 'live' Stylus track and any other VST instruments are stuttering.
    It does the same thing as when you use Stylus 'standalone,' ie - for a brand new project.
    Any clues?

    If I unsintall/ reinstall Cubase, is there a way to keep all the FX and instruments intact?

    again, make sure that "use system timestamp" is checked in the midi dialogue in the cubase preferences - if not checked this can cause endless headaches with midi timing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia PA USA
    Posts
    347

    Re: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    Hi..Oh well..I thought you had broken into the holy grail..As close to stand alone as I can get is opening it in Kore2 as a stand alone..Perhaps someday.. JON

  8. #8

    Re: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    Got it! The ASIO Driver has been set to all-purpose ASIO instead of the soundcard. Running smooth as a baby's bum now.
    Cheers for your help

  9. #9

    Re: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma View Post
    Hi..Oh well..I thought you had broken into the holy grail..As close to stand alone as I can get is opening it in Kore2 as a stand alone..Perhaps someday.. JON
    Why do you need it standalone? what's the difference with running it on a fresh project in Cubase or any other sequencer?
    Am I missing something?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong, CHINA
    Posts
    189

    Re: Please help - Stylus RMX problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain View Post
    I assume you have probably checked your soundcard's latency settings a million times, but are you sure the soundcard settings within Cubase are all as they should be? Have you chosen the correct ASIO driver in the Device Setup panels?
    Quote Originally Posted by daznez
    Got it! The ASIO Driver has been set to all-purpose ASIO instead of the soundcard. Running smooth as a baby's bum now.
    Cheers for your help
    I *thought* it might be that!! That exact thing has happened to me before, at least once.

    Glad it was so easy to fix, and you didn't have to reinstall Cubase -- that would have been a drag!


Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •