• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT - Getting our websites' Meta info straight!

OT - Getting our websites' Meta info straight!

A lot of us have various sites we use online for promotion, sales, storage etc in relation to our musical interests.

Probably like a lot of us, the mechanics of how to get our personal or business sites working properly has always been a bit mysterious to me.

Here's something that has me flummoxed. I'm hoping that a more website-savvy person here can help me figure this out. I'm sure other people have the same problem, and could benefit from an explanation.

There are two different URLs for the website dedicated to my musical. One is the vanilla flavored original:

The other is the domain name version. I've paid Go Daddy a fee the last two years to keep that name going. It's obviously easier to remember a domain name, and when that URL is used, it re-directs people to my Tripod site - all done behind the scenes in the browser:

THE PROBLEM - The Meta tags for the Tripod page is thorough, adapted from other high ranking pages. I keep it up-to-date.

BUT the Meta tag which I see by pushing "Source" when at the domain-name version is completely different--And it's a highly ineffective version which keeps the page unknown to search engines. I think it may have been the very first test version of the Meta info which I wrote when first putting the site together. All I know for sure is that it's nothing like what I have written in at the "real" site.

I theorize that when I registered the domain name, that the Meta info was somehow frozen in that undeveloped state?--All I know is that I can't figure out how to update it - And the biggest frustration to me is that the Meta info should be Any different from the Tripod real address.

Whenever I update the site through Tripod, those changes are instantly reflected at the domain name version, as they should be - Everything but the hidden Meta data. What gives???

Make sense?

Any clues?

Randy B.

Re: OT - Getting our websites' Meta info straight!

Oh man--I can't believe I didn't get this before. Here I've had a website for "Dorian" up for several years, and during the last two years, I've been using "dorian-the-musical" as a domain name which redirects people to my Tripod site.

I could not figure out why the pages were never coming up in a Google search, unless one put in the full title of my musical--and that's not bound to happen very often. It should come up with the search words of just "dorian gray" or the title of the book "the picture of dorian gray."

But it wasn't showing up. I would look at the Meta tags and see that they were messed up - and that they weren't the same as in the original Tripod address--But I had no idea how to fix that--hence my earlier post.

NOW I get it--I had to go to Go Daddy, and with some tips from the Help files there, I went to my account info, and eventually found a tab where the Meta tags of the domain name version can be edited. WHY they aren't automatically the same as the original site I really still don't get, but there ya go - You have to type in new tags, or C&P the ones from the original site like I just got through doing.

Now the tags are fixed up. I based them on another musical's site which always shows up high in a Google search, so I'm fairly confident about their form.

Yadda yadda--this stuff can drive ya nuts. But with all the upcoming activity with my musical, and the press release reaching more news agencies, I couldn't let the site be invisible!

Carry on with what you were doing. I'm just talking to myself - as I am wont to do.

Randy B.

...but, do you ever answer yourself?

Larry G. Alexander

Do I ever answer myself?

Yeah, sure you do, Randy.

Oh I dunno, it's normal to talk to yourself and answer yourself too, isn't it?

Suuuuure it is, Randy.

Good I thought so. Thank you, Randy.

You're welcome, Randy.

If I recall correctly, search engines like Google don't look at meta tags. Instead, they look at a page's popularity or how many other pages link to it. The information on the Google search result is taken directly from the page's content and title tag. Fixing the meta tags will not cause your site to gain places in Google's PageRank system, but it might help you gain places on smaller search engines.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Hi, CJ.

David "Et Lux" is MUch more hip on website stuff than I am. He helped me out before with something along this line.

But according to David, if I am remembering correctly, links from other sites can actually cause a site problems, and is one of the things Google's engine doesn't deal with now.

Looking up info this morning, an up-to-date site which seemed trustworthy to me talked about how search spiders do indeed treat meta info differently than in the past.

This site said that struggling with all the keywords is what is a waste of time now, because they're ignored by Google.

But the title and content description is critical, as you pointed out -but the content description is part of the meta tag, and that's what I focused on fixing this morning. That was as per the advice of the site I looked up.

Randy B.

Google's PageRank is the basis of Google Search. It is based on the utilization of pages from external sites. I don't see why Google would drop this critical component to their search when methods are provided to secure websites (robots.txt).
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Hello again, CJ - I think what David was warning me about some time ago was random style linking from other sites. That is listed at Google as a backfiring approach. But I'm not sure why David said that for us here at the Forum to link up to each other's music sites was a bad idea--It's been so long, I've forgotten his reasoning. Maybe he'll see this thread and reply.

It's really all a mystery to me. All I know is that my content description was on the fritz, there was no way Anything could have found my site. Hopefully there'll be some improvement. A site can't be boosted into notice just by your friends clicking on you once in awhile!

Randy B.

Randy, if you want to learn more about this area, the generic term for the discipine associated with promoting your site and increasing its ranking in search engines is called Search Engine Optimisation or SEO for short.

If you do some searching for that you will find some more details on how to assist your site's prominence.

There's actually no content on the site at http://dorian-the-musical.com/

Rather, it just uses a "frameset wrapper" to show the tripod.com site:

<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
    <frame src="http://rbowser.tripod.com/dorian/index.html" frameborder="0" />
    <frame frameborder="0" noresize />

Use View Source from the browser menu (not by right-clicking and selecting
    View Source from the context menu) and you'll see the only thing at that
    domain is meta tags and the frameset code.

While Google does read "framed" material, it naturally attributes it to the
    native (tripod.com) url; and as CJ points out, Google isn't all that interested
    in meta tags... so this is far from an ideal situation: Google wants to read
    content, and technically -- there is none.

Concerning links, by the way, Google thrives on 'em, just loves 'em to death.
    However -- the one area of caution is link mutuality, where site A links to
    site B and site B likewise links to site A... which Google observes, but gives
    little value. At one time, the general wisdom was that it might indeed damage
    page rank -- but given that Google is close with exact details of its inner
    workings, that conclusion is empirical rather than doctrine.

David Sosnowski

Go Back to forum