• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Three Miniatures for Violin and Cello

Share/Bookmark

Three Miniatures for Violin and Cello

I've been taking a class in the craft of music composition. Our assignment was to write a duo in asymetric style. I chose to write for violin and cello. Here is the result so far for this assignment.

Movement I

Movement II

Movement III

These are unique pieces in atonal style with an attempt to keep the rhythm and meter asymetrical. See what you think.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Three Miniatures for Violin and Cello

Bill -

Your composition, "Three Miniatures for Violin and Cello" has carried me down memory lane, Bill. Although this is a style of music which is most foreign to me, it's one that I appreciate and respect especially when it comes to writing such compositions. I've actually done similar writings before, many, many moons ago for some "Contemporary Composition" class taught by someone whose name I don't remember. I confess, though, that I had a difficult time writing this style of musical composition and still have it remain thoughtful and interesting. But I remember hearing (and learning) some great music during these "contemporary composition" classes.

I enjoyed what I heard, Bill. I think that all three pieces were nicely written (and I hope you get an "A" for this particular composition assignment). I especially liked Movement 2. The texture found in the beginning, in particular, just grabbed be both emotionally and musically. Nice job with the rendering, too! Did you sequence the piece or did you use a notation program? Just curious.

Thank you for sharing your music. (And also thanks for provoking dear and treasured memories of when I was in music college.)

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Bill

This style of music lends itself easily to cinematic works. Played softly in the background, atonal music can easily set the mood of a scene.
    I have seen a few movies set up this way and would like to see more like them.

The music in this follws exactly as you said it wouold.

The only criticism I see is that it might sound better if the instruments were not so far apart. Maybe just a little closer with a little crossover.

That's a more personnal thing though.

The occasionally Pizz really works well.

I love the opening to the 3rd movement. For that matter, I like the 3rd the best period.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Ted - Thanks for the comments. I am taking the class only because I wanted to study with this composer (Dr. Jeffrey Mumford). He has studied with Elliot Carter (really) and I thought I might get some insight into the mind of Elliot Carter. I have! What an interesting and diverse composer!

I am 'too old' for the class (62 with a master of music composition degree) so the other studens are a bit intimidated. But I give them their due!

Again, thanks for the comments and I am glad I revived old memories.

You asked:

Did you sequence the piece or did you use a notation program? Just curious.

I used Finale '08 solely on this rendering. Didn't have the time to pop it into Sonar.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Ron - Thanks for the listen. I know you like music of this nature. I agree with your criticism about the spatial location of the instruments. Since I didn't use earphones when I did the rendering, I didn't catch that. Yes pieces of this moody character are set well to movies with a scene that implies danger, fear, foreboding, etc. It would be an interesting diversion to put this track to a film sequence to see how it plays out.

Thanks for the comments,

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

I will comment on each movement separately.

I like the haunting melody in the 1st movement. The sporadic pizzicatos lend to a eerie feeling I get when I listen. Ron makes a good point. Softly in the background, this would make excellent cinematic coloring.

It is atonal and assymetrical but totally listenable.

Good piece in my estimations.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Bill:

Great little pieces and a very successful outcome for your
    asymmetrical exercise.

I would agree with Ron on two points: that the instruments
    seem a little too far apart on stage (or wherever they are), and
    that Movement III is my favorite also.

Fine work, Bill. Glad you enjoyed the class.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I very much enjoyed these three miniatures, Bill. As a set of three short pieces, they work very well. Good balance between the violin and cello, neither of which are competing for dominance in the asymetric soundscape that you've created. This would make a good live performance. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Graham

RichR - Thanks. I am awaiting your comments on II and III. Your comments reflect the comments of the Professor.

Challenge #10 Winner

Rhap2 - Thanks for listening. It is difficult for a Marching Band director to be assymetrical! but after listening to examples in the class I am taking it makes the music so much freer (what a strange word - freer) anyways, it is always a challenge to write in free-fall. I am enjoying this musical interlude.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast