• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about DP 5 Midi

Question about DP 5 Midi

I'm not sure where the best place to post this is, so I'll ask it here first.

I'm working in DP now and I'm wondering if there is a way to have the midi tracks auto transpose (for Horns for example). So what I would do is play in the horn part at written pitch (if I see a D I play a D on my keyboard) and DP will automatically sound a G for the horns. I could do this on the other software I used (first Sonar HS, then Logic when I went to mac) so I'm assuming that DP can do it too, I just can't figure out how.

Can any of you DP users tell me how to do this?

Re: Question about DP 5 Midi

I don't use that feature in DP5,
    but it is in the manual on pages 500 - 503 and page 822.
    or you can try to figure it out without the manual by selecting
    "transpose" (apple9) from the Region menu.

Thanks for responding Dan.

I got this program through my college and they didn't give us the manual with it since they preinstalled it on the macbook pro, but I probably have it on the CD they did give us.

Anyway, I was referring to an input transpose. Does the region menu transpose work such that it would transpose on input (as in I play a "G" on my keyboard and it sounds as say a "C" as I play it), or does it just work after the fact? My impression from reading about it was that you could only transpose notes after you finished recording.

Basically what I want to do is be able to set transpositions so I can play from a transposed score in real time without having to transpose back to C as I play.

Hi Richard,
    Digital Performer's manual is over 1,000 pages in length and it has never been available in PDF form. It is basically MOTU's way of keeping people from illegally copying the software, because DP is pretty uselss to someone trying to learn it without the manual.

in the mixing board, and in the midi track channel, double click on an insert, and choose "transpose". This will transpose the midi data coming into DP from your midi keyboard in real time, however, the notes recorded in the midi track will be what you actually played.

Hi again Dan,

Thanks for your fast answers! That should solve my problem. I've been learning DP from the DP 5 Power! book they had at my college bookstore. Since they preconfigure all the computers here they don't give us manuals for most of the software (nor do they give us the disc for most of it, although for DP they did), so I've been slowly figuring it out.

I also have Logic here since that also came with my computer, so I've been trying to learn both programs at once so I can use either for classes. It's been kind of tricky, but I was helped with Logic since it is somewhat similar to how I was working before.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. If I have more questions I'm sure you (or someone else) can help. That's one of my favorite things about this forum!

glad to help you Richard.
    Enjoy DP!

Dan is right. I asked this same question to the Support Personnel
    at MOTU. This is the answer I received:

In the Mixer window, display the MIDI track you are recording into.
    At the top of the fader strip, you see channel inserts (If you don't,
    enable them from the mini-menu in the upper left hand corner of the
    Mixer window). If you click on a channel insert you will get a list
    of MIDI plug-ins, including Transpose. Select the Transpose plug-
    in. In the plug-in window you can set up the transposition options
    so that when you play a Bb on your keyboard, an Ab is passed to the
    output of the track (for example).
    The MIDI that is recorded is unaffected by the Transpose plug-in.
    The plug-in only affects patch through and playback. If you want,
    you can later transpose the MIDI data in the track. You can also
    transpose the display of the MIDI data in the Quickscribe window,
    without having to transpose the actual data in the track.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum