• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: (Somewhat) OT: The perfect mobile keyboard for composers

Share/Bookmark

(Somewhat) OT: The perfect mobile keyboard for composers

So having waded through many a midi keyboard I find that I haven't yet found the perfect keyboard for the mobile musician. Here's my requirements and if anyone knows where I could get something that meets them please please let me know - perhaps Maudio are reading and could make one (I love my AXIOM 25 but it's a little too big)! Would also be great to know what other people are using...

1. 2 Octave Semi-weighted keyboard (like my Axoim) with aftertouch and velocity

2. Pitch bend and Modulation Wheels! (not funny pad things as found on the edirol PCR-M1 and ideally a programmable 3rd wheel (which is nigh on impossible to find on anything!)

3. A few continuous controllers (maybe 4) and maybe 4 drum pads - but don't really want play/record buttons

4. Most important - Something that will fit inside a laptop bag (like a Booq Mamba) along side my macbook pro

5. USB powered

So - anything that would work? What would you like in the ultimate travellers MIDI keyboard?

Re: (Somewhat) OT: The perfect mobile keyboard for composers

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kiel View Post
    So having waded through many a midi keyboard I find that I haven't yet found the perfect keyboard for the mobile musician. Here's my requirements and if anyone knows where I could get something that meets them please please let me know - perhaps Maudio are reading and could make one (I love my AXIOM 25 but it's a little too big)! Would also be great to know what other people are using...

1. 2 Octave Semi-weighted keyboard (like my Axoim) with aftertouch and velocity

2. Pitch bend and Modulation Wheels! (not funny pad things as found on the edirol PCR-M1 and ideally a programmable 3rd wheel (which is nigh on impossible to find on anything!)

3. A few continuous controllers (maybe 4) and maybe 4 drum pads - but don't really want play/record buttons

4. Most important - Something that will fit inside a laptop bag (like a Booq Mamba) along side my macbook pro

5. USB powered

So - anything that would work? What would you like in the ultimate travellers MIDI keyboard?
    I just ordered the Behringer U-CONTROL UMA25S USB MIDI 2 octave deal with mod and pitch wheel, programmable knobs, transport controls, volume slider, AND it has both sustain AND expression jacks in the back (very cool) as well as a gig bag and headphone AND it has a built-in audio interface for low latency. All powered via USB. And the cost: $125 at Musician's Friend. The keyboard looks similar to my M-Audio 02 which I will sell once the UMA arrives (assuming it is good). I have a cheapo Behringer audio interface which is probably the same used on this and it works well with my Macbook (what doesn't mind you )

Dave

Let me know how you get on with it. I did consider the behringer but wasn't sure if it had velocity sensitive keys and aftertouch? Also I'd like it to fit into my booq bag it at all possible - and think it might be too wide...

Cheers

Tim

You won't find aftertouch on most little keyboards unfortunately. The Axiom has it as does the Emu Xboard series. They also have nice semi-weighted action but are not as small and compact as the Behringer nor the 02. For the money, the Behringer looks too good to be true. I'll let you know when I receive it. Should be any day now.

Dave

How are you getting on with the Behringer? Did it arrive?

TIA

Tim

www.infiniteresponse.com

VAX77 looks to be very dynamic and quite mobile.
    I am hoping for one of those w/ a HP HDX 64bit laptop, and the XITE-1.
    A travelling minstrel of sorts.
    Bose will be demoing some battery operated powered 5.1 cab's @ NAMM '09. I have got to see those too.
    That could make Tahoe/Yosemite camping trips great fun.
    Compostion. recording & performing on a pro level has never been so mobile before.
    JimmyV

Looks pretty cool - but slightly big for what I had in mind - the poor girl looks like she can only just lift it :-)

Anyway, I was after something that's two octaves or so and about the same size as a 15" MacBook Pro. The KORG Nano Key is out - but it looks a bit naff and also only has on/off mod wheel functionality and semi dubious pitch shifting control.

Anyone know if something new from maudio or anyone will be out at NAMM09?

TIA

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kiel View Post
    Dave

How are you getting on with the Behringer? Did it arrive?

TIA

Tim
    Returned it the other week. The lowest C key worked only half of the time. Even the action was stiff and was not as smooth as the M-Audio 02. It had nice design features but it's quality was just not there yet. Maybe they will come out with a revision soon.

I would not recommend it at this time.

Thanks for the heads up Dave - I'll steer clear for now.

I would check out the Novation ReMOTE SL 25

http://www.novationmusic.com/product...rol/remote_sl/

It has 'everything' you're asking for, except the usb powered (4 'C' batteries, or external power supply)
    Plus templates for virtually everything and really cool Automapping.

It's a little pricey, however, it's a premium controller.
    But since you've invested in a nice premium macbook pro, why consider a cheap controller for it?
    m-audio, or behringer or emu xboard - you get what you pay for.... junk!
    Yes, I'll boldly say it.... junk!

Go Back to forum