• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Off Topic - My computer freezes...

Share/Bookmark

Off Topic - My computer freezes...

Y'all,

Out of a clear, blue sky, my computer freezes from time to time. It is a "hard" freeze that requires a re-boot each time it happens.

It can occur at any time, no matter what I am doing with the computer and it has me puzzled and exasperated. I have no viruses or anything of that nature and I keep my computer well maintained.

Have any of you experienced this and do you know the remedy.

I would certainly appreciate any information you may be able to give me.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: Off Topic - My computer freezes...

Well, that can be a pretty tough thing to find. I do not know what your problem is, but here are some things I found in the past that caused similar problems.

- memory problem
    You would need to run the check memory utility (it's free, google for it, but it requres that you make a boot disk)
    - Video card is on it's way out
    Check that you have the latest driver for your video card
    - CPU is overheating
    depending on how fast your system is, this could be an issue. You need the utility from your motherboard or possibly some of the free utilities may work to find out what your CPU temp is. Try using some anti dust spray to clean out your CPU fan and any other fans in your system.
    - video card is overheating
    Same as above
    - have you overclocked anything (CPU, memory or video)? Some high end video cards come already overclocked and I've had problems with those in the past.
    - hard drive is on its way out. Any other disk errors or problems?
    - Some other driver in your system is old
    Maybe sound or your NIC card? BIOS maybe? I'm always scared to upgrade my BIOS, though.
    - interrupt conflict?
    have you installed any new cards since this problem began? You may have to swap PCI slots or find out which cards cannot share interrupts. is anythig sharing the interrupt with your video card? That might be a suspect.

Well, that's all I can think of. Yes, I know it's a lot, but I did mention these problems can be tough!

Check Event Viewer logs for any errors. What are your computer specs and how old is it? There were quite a few manufacturers using cheap capacitors a couple years ago that would bulge over time. The computers just start dying all of a sudden from this problem. I've fixed a couple hundred Dells with this problem.

Jim

My computer is not old. The CPU is an Intel P4, 2.4 gig.

Sometimes I can hear clicks that sound like a mechanical relay opening and closing. I haven't heard these sounds before. It could be related to the problem...or not.

Thanks to both of the for all of the information.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

That's the processor that was used in the machines we had problems with. All sorts of weird things will happen when they start failing such as odd noises, fans going at higher speeds than normal, blue screens, etc.

You can check for bulging capacitors by opening the case. Then you'll see capacitors around the CPU. If the tops are not flat but are bulging instead, then you have a bulging capacitor problem. Usually they'll have some brown gunk on them that has leaked out. If this is the case, then you need to find out if the motherboard is still under warranty. Most systems that used those processors are probably out of warranty as they are 3-5 years old.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Sometimes I can hear clicks that sound like a mechanical relay opening and closing. I haven't heard these sounds before.
    Sounds like the infamous defect present on some old IBM disk drives... I had one of them, but that was years ago. But if the freeze doesnt happen immediately after the clicking, guess it's not related

Hello Larry, sorry to hear of your computer problems.

Elcabong is right that this could be an awkward thing to trace and has given some good possible things to check out.

Aziraphal also mentioned the hard disk. This actually happened to my son's computer a while ago. There were mechanical clicks and his computer would either 'freeze' or shut down. I traced this to the hard drive and replaced it and it's worked fine ever since then.

Here's hoping you find the culprit soon. Good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I had a problem with mine just rebooting. Tony Monaghan suggested an app called MemTest. You run this for hours and if there is a problem with your RAM chips it shows up. I tried it four times and within a couple of hours each time it recorded an error. I replaced the RAM, and its been fine ever since. The programme is free to download. If you can't find it no doubt Tony will tell where to get it.

I was about to start randomly replacing things, but would probably have left this to last. Mine had a click that occured whenever there was a problem, I believe its the power supply being switched off because of the error.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Hi Larry!

I'm wondering if you could roll your system back to an early time. I'm no expert, but it just might be a file corruption problem.
    David

"A painter who has no doubts about his own ability will attain very little" - Leonardo da Vinci.

Go Back to forum