Few days ago I started a thread on the Notation/Frequencing forum about GPO and Sibelius 3 connection. The reply I got was disheartening, talking about virtual MIDI cables, VST support, more manual work etc.
I am a retired classical musician (violinist) and not a computer techie. So, probably it is the best to start a new thread here, telling what I did before and what I would like to do with the help of GPO.
I am composing violin solos for myself and would like to create orchestral accompaniments. A few years ago I started to use Sibelius 2 then 3 to compose the solo (sheetmusic) and separately the orchestral work. Used soundfonts (.sf2), and then played the solo myself while the "virtual" orchestra playing through the PC accompanied me. It was poor like mechanized music., no artistic freedom etc.
The sound produced with the soundfonts were also very poor, while some instruments, like french horn, trombone and some woodwinds were barely acceptable, others, like the strings, were atrocious. I tried several downloaded ones, even modified the soundfonts with Vienna, no success.
Then I heard some demos with GPO and was impressed. So I would like use it to:
1. Using Sib 3 to compose both, the violin solo and the orchestral accompaniment separately.
2. Convert the .sib and/or MIDI file of the accompaniment in GPO for better sound.
3. Convert this GPO file to audio (Wav) file and record on a CD so it can also be played on my Hifi.
4. Play the solo on my violin (very nice master violin) and accompany myself with the CD in my Hifi.
Other version to produce a record with solo and accompaniment together:
1. Compose solo and accompaniment as above with Sib 3.
2. Play the solo and digitally record with a good mike in the PC.
3. Convert this recording and the accompaniment in GPO.
4. Synchronize solo and accompaniment (probably solo playing must be done with a metronome, here goes the artistic freedom)
5. Record the combined sound as a wav file to produce a viable, Hifi playable CD of the full performance.
Now I need info and handholding, again I am a musician and not computer savvy. Can someone enlighten me how to do it? Is it possible to be linked to some similar procedures and/or to download or obtain a detailed description (like the manual) for GPO before I spend the monies or more important time and aggravation? Anyone's input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.