• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan + Cubase SL3, Finale '07c, KP2, OS 10.5.4

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Garritan + Cubase SL3, Finale '07c, KP2, OS 10.5.4

I have three Garritan libraries, all registered and activated within the last two days onto my new MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.4) using the NI Service Center.

I'm trying to get all three libraries functioning in both Finale 2007c and Cubase SL3.1.1.944 using KontaktPlayer2.

This morning I got all three libraries loading and working in Cubase.

Then I tried to trigger the libraries in Finale. At first Finale didn't know where to find some of the "nks" files, since I am at this time updating from KP1 to KP2. I found the help doc that told me where to put the original nks files so Finale would work.

Now all three libraries are functioning in Finale.

Then I went back to Cubase. Not knowing any better, I tried opening a VSTi of the Kontakt2_16 player. I got an error message saying:

This mixer configuration expected "KontaktPlayer2" to have 7 Stereo, 14 Mono, ->The instrument currently has 2 Stereo, 1 5.1, 4 Stereo, 14 Mono,
    -> Change the instrument configuration before reloading this setup without saving.

Which I did. I changed the VSTi to just Kontakt2 (not Kontakt2_16). And I quit the program without saving. Now I don't get the previous error message, but I think by changing the setup I screwed up another setting.

I am completely stumped: Now, none of the three Garritan libraries are accessible in Cubase using KP2 (though they ARE functioning in Finale using KP2). In Cubase/KP2 each library has a red "caution" triangle, and an error message reading:

KontaktPlayer2
    There was an error trying to acquire a license for this patch! Error message:
    Your hardware has changed. Please use the Service Center to re-activate.

I just checked the NI Service Center again. It agrees with me that all my Garritan libraries are activated.

I've spent at least two days trying to figure all this out. Please send help!

Thank you!

Rebecca
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.4; full GPO, JABB, C&MB; Cubase SL3.1.1.944; Finale 2007c; KP2.

Re: Garritan + Cubase SL3, Finale '07c, KP2, OS 10.5.4

Hi, Rebecca

I'm not positive I followed everything in your post - it's really hard to describe situations when we have problems, but you've obviously tried to describe it. Maybe somebody else will untangle it more than me.

BUT it sounds like you are dealing with programs not finding your nks files, because you didn't just copy them into Finale's folder, but you moved them there.

Programs like Cubase have a VST folder where it looks for your instruments. If possible, it's best to point every program to the same VST folder which is then shared. And there's always a way to look where a program is searching for your stuff. Like for awhile I used both Cubase and Sonar - I used one VST folder with my instruments, and directed the programs where to look.

Sounds to me like your problem is like that - all of your files are now in Finale, and Cubase needs to know where your VST instrument folder is.

Randy B.

Hi Randy,

You've given me a good lead. I'm in the process of setting up a new laptop after the demise of my previous computer. I notice my Cubase folder is surprisingly empty -- no VST folder at all. I'll reinstall Cubase, and if all is well, I'll report back.

Thank you!

Rebecca
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.4; full GPO, JABB, C&MB; Cubase SL3.1.1.944; Finale 2007c; KP2.

Hi Randy,

Sadly, no joy yet. I reinstalled Cubase and GPO. Cubase still gives red caution triangles on all three libraries in KP2, and won't allow me to use them.

None of my Garritan files are IN my Finale app folder. My Garritan library folders are all at the top level of my Applications folder.

You say it's best to put my instruments in one VST folder. Do you mean that I should I make one folder and put all of my Garritan library folders in it?

When I look at the details on my NI Service Center page, I find that there are different system ID numbers for my various Garritan libraries, since I've been collecting them over the course of several computers' lives. Despite my recent re-registrations and re-activations, these remain different. Is that normal, is that okay? Might it have any bearing on my current woes?

Thank you for your time.

Rebecca

Re: Garritan + Cubase SL3, Finale '07c, KP2, OS 10.5.4, p.s.

p.s.

Hi again, Randy,

Now I'm comparing my computer's library folder with my home library folder, and finding there are some files in one, some in the other, all of which look like they would affect the functionality of Cubase and Finale and Garritan, etc.: items in the Audio folders, the Application Support folders, etc. Do you recommend one location over the other? Should I just drag and drop, or will that mess things up further?

Thanks again.

Rebecca

Hello again, Rebecca - I've caught up on your new messages. Dang - I wish I was more a whiz at this stuff. I just feel fortunate that I haven't had these kinds of problems, BUt you gotta know I've read posts from people with similar or the same problems.

COPY the files - that's basically what I'm here to say. Copy the instrument files to Cubase's VST folder - that's where it's going to look for what you have. The logic is simple enough, that programs look in sub-folders of its own folder. What I said about a master VST folder for several programs to use is right, but perhaps more confusing. Try copying things first.

---Thought I was going to try to help more, but on a personal note, I've been stricken with a pretty intense back pain that I'm having to deal with, and my concentration is off. - -HOpe this little reply is of some help.

Randy B.

Hi Randy,

I hope you are feeling better.

I'm going to call NI on Monday if I can't sort it out today.

Thanks again.

Rebecca

Go Back to forum