• Register
  • Help

Topic: Storm Drum 2, or something else?

Share/Bookmark

Storm Drum 2, or something else?

I'm looking at buying Storm Drum 2 as part of the buy 1 get 1 free Play promotion that ends tomorrow. I have a lot of standard orchestral percussion libraries, but none that give the large percussion bed sounds like you often hear in Media Ventures stuff.

I've heard good things about SD2, but I was curious, if not SD2, then what else? What is it's main competition? I like the fact that it isn't loops, but actually MIDI performances.

Also, if I do get SD2, what other EW Play library is worth picking up for free? I was thinking maybe Voices of Passion? Or Ministry of Rock?

Thanks.

Re: Storm Drum 2, or something else?

Storm Drum 2, or something else?
    Storm Drum 2

Project Sam Truestrike 2 is another option. There are also numerous tiako drum libs out there (the new nine volt audio one has gotten good reviews) as well as cineasamples "drums of war" & "action toms."

As for "what to choose free" during the EW sale, I have NO CLUE! In fact, thats what's keeping me from buying SD2 right now; I dont want any of their other play libs. I'll wait for a more typical 30% off sale & for play to become more stable.

Hmmm, I already have True Strike 2 and I love it. However, it doesn't have any "performances" meaning that you pretty much have to create your own percussion beds. Which definitely works fine, it is just a slower way to work and doesn't give you the advantage of pieces played in on the MIDI percussion devices by actual players.

Does anyone have both libs that can compare them?

the new Taiko library from 9voltaudio combines multisamples with midiperformances

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon View Post
    I'll wait for a more typical 30% off sale & for play to become more stable.
    Can you point me to some threads that show stability issues still abound for PLAY? the .83 update has been pretty good for me so far.

Devon

Quote Originally Posted by DevonB View Post
    Can you point me to some threads that show stability issues still abound for PLAY? the .83 update has been pretty good for me so far.

Devon
    I could, but this forum sw won't allow it.

What's great about SD2 is the newly sampled percussion, especially the taikos, that give you a genuine Hollywood studio percussion section.

I have it. Worth it.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

As for libraries, I would get Storm Drum 2, as well as both ProjectSAM True Strike volumes.

Slightly off topic, but why do many people on this site still refer to Hans Zimmer's studios as "Media Ventures"? It's been called "Remote Control" for awhile now.

Go Back to forum