• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: Greetings from Times Square

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Mayor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    nr Manchester, England
    Posts
    138

    Thumbs up Greetings from Times Square

    Hi fellow GPOers!

    It's been a long time since I posted anything on the Garritan forums - due to a combination of personal factors, & I know this is w-a-a-ay off topic, but sitting here tonight in the Hilton, Times Square, New York, looking at the Empire State Building as I type, during my first ever visit to the US (as an 18th birthday treat for my son Ben ), I just had to say a big hello - especially to our American 'cousins' and Wow!!! what a fantastic experience - what a fantastic place and what a fantastically friendly welcome we've had! It's going to be hard to go home!

    Best regards,

    John

    PS - Ignore the apparent time of posting (3.41am) - I haven't adjusted my laptop clock to NY time - it was actually posted at 11.41pm! I'm not that sad!

  2. #2

    Re: Greetings from Times Square

    Well sir,

    Welcome to these shores! Although I live in Chicago I've been to New York countless times working on projects and just love the city.

    Try Dinosaur Barbeque in Harlem for very excellent ribs.
    Mario Batali's Babbo is a fantastic and relaxed place for incredibly interesting cuisine.
    And by all means try Balthazaar in the Village for some of the best seafood you may ever have.

    All the best and happy traveling!
    Reber Clark

    P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

    http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

  3. #3

    Re: Greetings from Times Square

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersynth View Post
    PS - Ignore the apparent time of posting (3.41am) - I haven't adjusted my laptop clock to NY time - it was actually posted at 11.41pm! I'm not that sad!
    Don't worry about it. The website automatically corrects timezones to the user's preferences. Whereas you may see 3:41 AM, I see 11:41 PM.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

  4. #4
    Mayor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    nr Manchester, England
    Posts
    138

    Re: Greetings from Times Square

    Thanks for the welcome Reber, & for the good food advice - but alas it's too late. Sadly we're heading back to the UK tomorrow - but I'll bear your gastronomic advice in mind for any future trips. Thanks for your birthday wishes to Ben too!

    Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Well sir,

    Welcome to these shores! Although I live in Chicago I've been to New York countless times working on projects and just love the city.

    Try Dinosaur Barbeque in Harlem for very excellent ribs.
    Mario Batali's Babbo is a fantastic and relaxed place for incredibly interesting cuisine.
    And by all means try Balthazaar in the Village for some of the best seafood you may ever have.

    All the best and happy traveling!
    Reber Clark

    P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!!

    CJ - thanks for putting me straight on the appearance of the time of posting

    Best,

    John

  5. #5

    Re: Greetings from Times Square

    Can you take a quick pic of you-all in front of something iconic?

    Some day you need to visit the Left Coast!
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

  6. #6
    Mayor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    nr Manchester, England
    Posts
    138

    Re: Greetings from Times Square

    Quote Originally Posted by schneb View Post
    Can you take a quick pic of you-all in front of something iconic?

    Some day you need to visit the Left Coast!
    Hi Schneb,

    I tried and tried but I couldn't get an image of us into the thread. I even read through the FAQs and still couldn't do it. Then I noticed some little box that said I may not post attachments.
    Never mind - it could have been a bit too frightening at Halloween! (Me that is, not my wife & son!!)

    And yes, I think a visit to the Left Coast is now a must - as well as the middle bit!

    Regards,

    John

  7. #7

    Re: Greetings from Times Square

    John, you need to put your image on a public web location and then you post a link to it (using the icon above the editor that looks like a mountain (3rd from the right).

  8. #8
    Mayor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    nr Manchester, England
    Posts
    138

    Re: Greetings from Times Square

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    John, you need to put your image on a public web location and then you post a link to it (using the icon above the editor that looks like a mountain (3rd from the right).
    Thanks for the info Alan. I'm just about to run out of time with my 24h hotel internet access - so it'll have to wait until I get home now. I tried earlier to put it on a Box.net link, but when I previewed the post, there was a little box with a red square where the image should have been.

    Thanks again,

    Best wishes,

    John

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Orcas Island
    Posts
    11,454

    Re: Greetings from Times Square

    Welcome to these shores John!

    What a great birthday present for your son and an experience both of you will always remember.

    There's no place like New York. Lived there for many years. Make sure you take it all in. New York has over 26,000 restaurants and so much music. Check out the Jazz clubs in the Village, the Symphony, Radio City Music Hall, Lincoln Center and all that New York has to offer.

    Have a great time!

    Gary

  10. #10
    Mayor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    nr Manchester, England
    Posts
    138

    Re: Greetings from Times Square

    Many thanks for your welcome too Gary!

    Alas, I'm writing this reply from home now - where the tallest things are the street lamps, but we're still 'shellshocked' from the experience - and not a little jetlagged! It was truly one that we'll never forget. Although we've travelled extensively within Europe, none of us had ever been outside Europe before, and it occurred to me last April that Ben's 18th birthday in October, coinciding with the half term break at 6th form college would be an ideal opportunity to celebrate in style - hence the New York trip was conceived. What a fantastic experience it must have been for you to have lived there!! It must have had an enormous influence on the path your life has taken.

    The daily view of the Manhattan skyline from our hotel room which itself was within that skyline was a priceless experience and one that's burned into our minds forever I'm sure. It was pretty good time to be there too in terms of the run up to the Presidential election - whatever side you happen to be on - Ben's off to University next October to do a degree in Politics.

    Francoise, my wife, did a fantastic job of organising the itinerary, as ever, and there's hardly a square inch of NY that we didn't see, feel, smell, taste or touch in the 8 days we were privileged to be there!! I've got the blisters on my feet to prove it. But equally as priceless as the as the buildings and the food and the music and that wonderful Central Park, and all those things you mention, were the people. I had a certain preconceived expectation that New Yorkers would be somewhat unapproachable and perhaps a bit cool and distant, but what we found was the opposite. Everyone we came into contact with was so warm and helpful.
    We couldn't have wished for a better experience & I have almost 500 photos and an hours worth of video to help refresh the memories as time goes by. As soon as my brain's settled back into it's proper place I will post a link to one!

    Now, if only I could find a bit of time to encapsulate the whole thing musically - using GPO of course.......

    Best wishes,

    John




    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Welcome to these shores John!

    What a great birthday present for your son and an experience both of you will always remember.

    There's no place like New York. Lived there for many years. Make sure you take it all in. New York has over 26,000 restaurants and so much music. Check out the Jazz clubs in the Village, the Symphony, Radio City Music Hall, Lincoln Center and all that New York has to offer.

    Have a great time!

    Gary

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •