• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mr. Sax T. Vs Chris Tenor Sax V2 ''vedio demo'' ?

Share/Bookmark

Question Mr. Sax T. Vs Chris Tenor Sax V2 ''vedio demo'' ?

Hi.
    I hope all of you doing you..Most of us watched the both vedio demos from Mr. sax T and Chris Tenor Sax V2.. Would you share your opinion from what you heard and feel which one looks more realistic ?

Samplemodeling baby ! Mr. Sax.T.
    http://www.sample-modeling.com/publi..._VideoDemo.wmv

Chris Hein Tenor Sax. V2.
    http://www.chrishein.net/CHH%20V1.5/...am_session.htm

Kind regards.

Re: Mr. Sax T. Vs Chris Tenor Sax V2 ''vedio demo'' ?

I've been very impressed by the Samplemodeling Trumpet, but to my ears the Chris Hein Tenor blows "Mr Sax T" out of the water. The repeated notes, falls, growls and especially the key triggered vibrato make this sound like a real horn being blown into, instead of just a really nice tenor sax waveform being played with organ technique. I would like to hear more about the Samplemodeling instrument since I think this video didn't present it effectively. This demo suffers from a common problem with keyboard performances of sampled wind instruments; not enough separation between notes. Human beings blowing into big pieces of plumbing like a tenor sax have to pause to take breaths, and also leave brief silences between many notes due to the physical challenges of producing sound. No matter how good the sample and keyswitches are, if you play everything legato and connected and don't "breathe" enough you won't create a convincing wind instrument emulation.

I agree about the lack of 'breathing' in the Mr.T demo (wonderful playing though nonetheless!). But I disagree with TechE's preference.

For me, the Samplemodelling effort has much more feel, and 'live' expression in it - though being a sax player of sorts, I wasn't blown away by the sometimes rather one-dimensional tone. However, the CH samples, just sound like a collection of samples to me and lack the fluidity and real connection between the notes and phrases that Mr.T appears to offer - it just doesn't sound 'alive' enough to me for solo performances.

Both offerings no doubt have their pros and cons and I think you would have to know what they are like in use to decide a clear winner.

...currently I would still advocate buying your own Tenor Sax and a few lessons but we're getting much closer than ever before and hats off to both developers for bringing these sounds to the masses.

Although we might be able to extract certain fragments of both libraries to fool the general public, anyone who has ever performed with a real saxophonist knows the difference.
    The fact that a developer would keep " developing " speaks volumes in itself. Hat's off to those who keep striving for the elusive saxophone solo library or instrument.
    It would require several ADI BlackFin DSP chips for PhysModelling w/ audio samples in an extreme amount IMHO.
    I have CHH Volume 1.0 and now Volume 1.5 & 2.0 bundle, and can say the Sections are excellent, but I will never attempt to play solo saxophones except for a few fragments.

The brave developers are doing an excellent job, and I hope they keep striving for what many consider the hardest instrument to emulate.
    On another matter, the Pedal Steel GVI Instrument from Wavelore was considered impossible 2 years ago. Previously unused developemental tools and a years worth of work proved that school of thought was inaccurate. The instrument sounds excellent. I hope he jumps over to Kontackt if Giga doesn't get picked up by a 3rd party.
    Polyphonic aftertouch would really expand the possibilities even more, which is a whole other topic. MIDI Spec.#88 is going to be something to look into in the future also.

These 2 instruments are definately strides forward and will surely keep improving.

Thanks to the brave, the few........
    JimmyV

I think both sound good but the videos are insuficient to make a final judgement IMO.

First the Samplemodeling video is not showing any articulations, it's just straight playing. I think that's one of reasons why it's a bit stale in comparison with Chris Hein which shows various articulations.

The samplemodeling video starts with just the sax, so we hear it completely exposed. In the Chris Hein video it's a busy mix so you can't really hear how it sounds on its own.

Nevertheless both are great leaps in the sax department if you compare with what existed earlier.

Mr sax T is great and I play sax. No there is a lot it wont do but there is a lot it will. It is a great tool. Is it going to be optimized for wind controllers like the new version of the trumpet? If it is Im in.

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live View Post
    Although we might be able to extract certain fragments of both libraries to fool the general public, anyone who has ever performed with a real saxophonist knows the difference.
    The fact that a developer would keep " developing " speaks volumes in itself. Hat's off to those who keep striving for the elusive saxophone solo library or instrument.
    It would require several ADI BlackFin DSP chips for PhysModelling w/ audio samples in an extreme amount IMHO.
    I have CHH Volume 1.0 and now Volume 1.5 & 2.0 bundle, and can say the Sections are excellent, but I will never attempt to play solo saxophones except for a few fragments.

The brave developers are doing an excellent job, and I hope they keep striving for what many consider the hardest instrument to emulate.
    On another matter, the Pedal Steel GVI Instrument from Wavelore was considered impossible 2 years ago. Previously unused developemental tools and a years worth of work proved that school of thought was inaccurate. The instrument sounds excellent. I hope he jumps over to Kontackt if Giga doesn't get picked up by a 3rd party.
    Polyphonic aftertouch would really expand the possibilities even more, which is a whole other topic. MIDI Spec.#88 is going to be something to look into in the future also.

These 2 instruments are definately strides forward and will surely keep improving.

Thanks to the brave, the few........
    Jimmy,

How refreshing it is to read your comments. There's been a lot of negative feedback against any one who tries to emulate a sax or any other instrument that has a million different subtleties. While we can all probably agree that a "real" sax is a tough nut to crack (if it can ever be cracked completely) I agree with your line "hat's off" to the dudes that are pushing these envelopes.

Well spoken good sir!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Your Welcome.

Being from Nevada I often compare these acts of Bravery to Texas Hold 'Em.
    You can't win if you don't go.

Peace.
    JimmyV

I already bought the great CHH2 full package and waiting for Mr.Sax T. release!
    thanx Chris for your support.

Shakuman.

Go Back to forum