• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Omni slow while browsing Soundsources?

Share/Bookmark

Omni slow while browsing Soundsources?

Will there be any tweaks to browsing soundsources? Each time I try to search for a sample in the soundsource browser it freezes while trying to point the mouse to a selection of sounds.Can this be fixed or is this a hardware issue?

Windows searches though thousands of folders,samples,large data and doesn't do this,is there a reason why omni does this so slow? Cubase 4's mediabay also indexes sounds,midi data,songs etc. super quick,why is omni such a slug when it comes to browsing it's own data?

Here's hoping this gets fixed soon.. Thanks
    Intel Q6600|3.0ghz|Asus P5b Deluxe|8Gbs Corsair Performance Ram|BFG 8800 GT 512mb|XP64 SP2|Wd Raptors||Api A2D|Lavry DA10|E-mu 1820m|Csr|Roland A-50|Studiologic SL 990 Pro|Novation SL Remote Zero|Dynaudio Bm5a|Event 8|Cubase 4.5.2|K3|Many lovely libraries

Re: Omni slow while browsing Soundsources?

Hmmm...You shouldn't be having any freezes or slowing at all when searching.

It's always been instant results on every system I've tried. Give tech support some more details and we can try to find out why this is happening on your system.

info@spectrasonics.net

I have this same problem, the browser lags/freezes for several seconds anytime I change a tag or go into a folder. I've been working with Spectra support on another issue though which is more serious (severe rendering issues with multiple instances) but we have not made any progress there either.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Hi Eric,
    No what I meant was just trying to select a selection of soundsources,or a category it freezes for a few seconds like 5 or 6 seconds just to get into a folder and then will adjust.They load almost instantly when it finally gets to the folder.By the way I've already contacted tech support before on this issue awhile back.Is there any tweaks in plan for this? Maybe this is just another windows issue again?

Thanks for the response.
    Intel Q6600|3.0ghz|Asus P5b Deluxe|8Gbs Corsair Performance Ram|BFG 8800 GT 512mb|XP64 SP2|Wd Raptors||Api A2D|Lavry DA10|E-mu 1820m|Csr|Roland A-50|Studiologic SL 990 Pro|Novation SL Remote Zero|Dynaudio Bm5a|Event 8|Cubase 4.5.2|K3|Many lovely libraries

Here's a better explanation: note my cpu specs btw..

1.Open Omni as an Instrument track in Cubase 4.5.2
    (4 - 19 seconds to load the Gui - very random)

2.Choose Sample in Osc tab - Layer A - Pick Synthesizers in category- (3 seconds) for that.Again sometimes it's more, again random timings.

3.Now choose Modern Sonics for type (5-6 seconds)

4.Now choose Granular Synth in source - (5 seconds)

5.Now choose Analog in timbre - (5 seconds)

So as you can see even when Omni is running in peak performance it takes up to 27 seconds on my cpu doing this test.. Thats incredibly slow..
    Not to mention what if I don't like that soundsource and I want to change it with something else,but all the while trying to truly get the best user experience with the new cool browser.

It's really uninspiring. Am I the only one with this slow speed performing this test>?

Anyone else willing to try this test?

Fill in with your your timings with their respective load times.

1.Open Omni _____

2.Choose Sample in Osc tab Layer A - Pick Synthesizers in category _____

3.Now choose Modern Sonics for type _____

4.Now choose Granular Synth in source _____

5.Now choose Analog in timbre _____

Whats your average time to browse and load using this test and omni's browser function?

On my system, each of those tasks is under 1 second. Nearly immediate.

We'll check into this.

Awesome..thanks for the response Have a great weekend.

on my system it is instantaneous both on mac and pc.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

I have had a similar problem although it was less than 5 seconds. More like 3.
    With the latest update it went down to around 1.5 seconds.

Go Back to forum