• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harp Dampen *After* Glissando

Question Harp Dampen *After* Glissando

Is there any way to dampen the harp decay sound *after* a glissando without doing a volume cut (which then has to be followed by a volume reset)?

I've tried applying the SusDp control before the gliss, but of course that produces an undesired damping of each note *during* the glissando (which sounds horrible!).

Re: Harp Dampen *After* Glissando

"...I've tried applying the SusDp control before the gliss..."

And why enter the command before? You want the dampening directly after the gliss - That's where you should add it. If you don't like the results, then try zeroing CC1 again - Either way calls for a new event to re-set things following the dampening you want. That's the way MIDI works. With simple switching controls, there has to be an On at some point following an Off - and vice versa.

Randy B.

Thanks for your feedback.

The reason dampening after the gliss doesn't have an effect on the decay is that the dampening controller only affects notes as they are being played. In other words, dampening is a MIDI On (CC68, 127) event that needs to be sent before sending the notes that you want the dampening to affect.

Moreover, CC#1 has no effect on GPO Harp volume, which is esatblished and controlled by velocity.

Thanks again,

i know its not ideal, but you can turn the volume down on that track after the glissando. i don't know what daw you're using, but its really easy to do.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hello again, Dr H

AH yes, of course, my bad - cc1 doesn't control Harp volume. Lost my head.

It's been awhile since I've used a Harp, but I thought that what I did was use the pedal, cc64 for dampening, applied at the point needed - not cc68. If I had time I'd fire up Sonar and check this--but running too fast this morning.

I automate the mixer in Sonar, so swooping audio volumes down is always an option as I work.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum