• Register
  • Help

Topic: What Will They Think of Next Dept: Personal Music Stylist

Share/Bookmark

What Will They Think of Next Dept: Personal Music Stylist

A new service. You can now hire your very own Personal Music Stylist.
    Music can alter a space as much as lighting, fabrics and artwork, but until recently, most people relied on their own judgment when it came to sound. Now, though, an increasing number are hiring personal music stylists to pick out tunes for their homes just as they might hire an interior decorator to select furnishings.

While Muzak has for decades created what it calls "audio architecture" for commercial environments, it is just in the last five years that a handful of music consultants, mostly in New York and London, have begun to specialize in creating custom domestic soundtracks. From Aspen lodges to bungalows in Belize, they are compiling playlists to match their clients' decor.
    How does it work?
    Though they consider clients' musical preferences, stylists said they are paid to be the final arbiters of what songs work in a space. "When clients hire me, they are buying into the Coleman brand of taste," Mr. Feltes said. Stylists typically charge between $50 and $250 per hour of music, which they usually download onto iPods but which can also be delivered on CDs.
    Here's an example:
    Ms. Goldberg hired Audiostiles again earlier this year to create a playlist to listen to at home while playing with her children. She said she wanted tunes that were "kid-friendly" and yet "wouldn't make me want to tear my hair out strand by strand." The resulting list included Stevie Wonder, the Barenaked Ladies and Simon and Garfunkel. "It's calming," she said.
    Only 8 hours of styling for a mere $2,000.

This may be a perfect occupation for Larry and Styxx!

Re: What Will They Think of Next Dept: Personal Music Stylist

"Stylists typically charge between $50 and $250 per hour of music..."

Holy cats, what a scam!

Now I have to go make some changes to my latest composition - so that it matches the drapes.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else. - Lily Tomlin

Finding kid-friendly music that doesn't make you want to pull out your hair, would certainly be challenging, but for $250 an hour, i think i could do this.

Go Back to forum