• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Beethoven Sym. #1, Mvt. 2 & 3, CMB Sax Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Beethoven Sym. #1, Mvt. 2 & 3, CMB Sax Ensemble

The Beethoven Symphony No. 1 was transcribed into a piano reduction by Liszt. Two of the movements of the symphony fit the format of a large saxophone ensemble very nicely;

II. Andante Cantabile

www.garybricault.com/mp3/BeethovenSym1AndanteCantabSax.mp3

III. Menuetto

www.garybricault.com/mp3/BeethovenSym1MenuettoSax.mp3

The work was produced using Finale 2008, KP2 player and the follow JABB and CMB instruments;

JABB: Sopranino Sax

CMB: Soprano 1, Soprano 2, Alto Solo 1-3, Tenor Solo 1-2, Baritone and Bass saxophone.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Beethoven Sym. #1, Mvt. 2 & 3, CMB Sax Ensemble

Gary,

Nice work on the Cantabile. Your arranging skills really show through on this arrangement for Sax Ensemble. It does have a nice balance between the parts and fits well in the instruments' ranges.

The minuetto is excellent as well. You have obviously thought through the ranges of the instruments and made great choices for the part writing.

Thanks for sharing these. As a former band director and still a saxophonist, I really appreciate the work you do on these ensembles.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I enjoyed both pieces. It must be a challenge to create an arrangement that allows the sax to sound so natural for the music.

I hope to hear some of your arrangements performed.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Gary,

Nice work on the Cantabile. Your arranging skills really show through on this arrangement for Sax Ensemble. It does have a nice balance between the parts and fits well in the instruments' ranges.

The minuetto is excellent as well. You have obviously thought through the ranges of the instruments and made great choices for the part writing.

Thanks for sharing these. As a former band director and still a saxophonist, I really appreciate the work you do on these ensembles.
    Rich,

Thanks for your kind comments. Both movements have their challanges and fine moments. I am surprised how easily some of the transcribing worked. But with a large ensemble the ranges are definately easier to cover. It really helps that these are excellent works to begin with!! The Garritan instruments are the icing on the cake!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I enjoyed both pieces. It must be a challenge to create an arrangement that allows the sax to sound so natural for the music.

I hope to hear some of your arrangements performed.

Phil
    Phil,

Thanks for your kind comments. The works transcribe nicely and the JABB/CMB saxophones are really excellent to work with. There are more arrangements in the works for sure.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary, you must be well on your way to establishing
    the single largest catalog of quality sax transcriptions
    available, anywhere.

I particularly liked the Cantabile -- again, this would
    perform very well, live, I think... but that Menuetto would
    really shine!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Gary, you must be well on your way to establishing
    the single largest catalog of quality sax transcriptions
    available, anywhere.

I particularly liked the Cantabile -- again, this would
    perform very well, live, I think... but that Menuetto would
    really shine!

Best,
    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for your kind comments David. I am working in the direction for a number of reasons. There is so much good music out there that will transcribe well for large saxophone ensemble. Hopefully I can continue to find works and performance venues.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi, Gary! - This is Great to see you're still at the fascinating project of adapting pieces for Sax. As Et Lux pointed out, you must have quite a library at this point.

And as before with your previous posts, what you've done with the adaptation is so admirable, successful, making for a great listening experience.

Hats off to you!

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Gary! - This is Great to see you're still at the fascinating project of adapting pieces for Sax. As Et Lux pointed out, you must have quite a library at this point.

And as before with your previous posts, what you've done with the adaptation is so admirable, successful, making for a great listening experience.

Hats off to you!

Randy B.
    Thanks Randy. Soooooo good to see you around the forum again. Yes the list is getting rather long and some are very involved. The larger ensemble writing has it advantages over the challange of packing a work into a quartet. You will ahve to search around to my other postings of the past few months to see the other ensembles that I have put up here.

Glad to see your musical getting press and a performance in Russia too!!! Good going!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

These arrangements work very well Gary. In the flesh, I think I might prefer the intimacy and clarity of these arrangements more than I would the original orchestral score. This was both an instructive and enjoyable listening experience.

Thanks and regards,

Graham

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast