• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample Machines Like lots of ram... Right?

Share/Bookmark

Sample Machines Like lots of ram... Right?

I realize this is probably more appropriate a post to the hardware forum, but I\'ve come to repsect the help that many here freely provide and thought I\'d give it a shot here first.

GS works the most stable I thought on Win98Se (correct me if I\'m wrong), and yet windows seems to have a serious problem when I add in a second 512mb dimm. System specs are pretty basic on this giga only machine (controlled by a second comp) AsusP4B mobo, P4 1.5ghz, and two dimms of Samsung PC133 512mb. Just one works fine, but adding the second to my comp won\'t even let me into windows without safemode. I can temp fix it by limiting window\'s memory usage to the first 512mb, but from what I can tell, that also limits the software that runs under windows to that max, so I might as well not have it in there at all.

I\'m asking here because from what I\'ve seen in various posts, there are many here that use 1GB of ram for Giga, and I thought that was a solid amount to shoot for myself. Anyway, if anyone has run into this issue or found a work-around, please clue me into it. I\'ve found nothing on the Microsoft site (with the exception of others agreeing that they\'ve had similiar probs... just no solutions)

Thanks for the indulgence
    -mike-

Re: Sample Machines Like lots of ram... Right?

Interesting! I have PC800-ECC-512MB x2(4) on ASUS-MB-P4, it works fine with 98SE platform, no needed any boot-tricks at all! So, the problem would not be caused by windows! Check your installed-Memory (PC133 512mb?) and motherboard as well! Did you use CLEAN-installed 98SE? Did you use ASUS-CD-Driver, which is shipped along with motherBoard? is it a custom-built PC? Video card? Bios and windows detected 1GB-Mem or something else?
    Just a reference,
    Good lucks,
    Long

Hi Mike,

Before you add the second block of RAM:

- Open the file System.ini in Notepad, simply by selecting the Start Menu and typing \"System.ini\" at the Run command.

- See if there is a section [vcache]

- If not, copy and paste these lines:

[vcache]
    MinFileCache=32768
    MaxFileCache=32768

- Otherwise do some editing to include these lines.

- Switch of the PC, install the extra RAM and restart. I think it should work now.

Later you may want to use other settings. What this essentially does, is prevent Windows from claiming too much of your precious, extra RAM for its disk caching system. There is a known and documented bug in Win95/98 that prevents essential portions of the OS to be loaded if the disk cache gets its default proportion of memory.

If you search the forum for VCACHE you will certainly find more discussions, tips and URL\'s (also to Microsoft\'s support pages).

Success!

Peter Roos

wow... Okay, I\'ve never really takin any time to look through the hardware portion of this forum... but wow. I did a search regarding this issue and found a wealth of answers, and I think modifying the Vcache settings will take care of the prob, but there is still one unanswered question I have.

If you limit the vcache to 512mb, does that mean that software running under windows 98se just won\'t use it? If that\'s the case, I might as well uninstall the extra... This is a confusing issue and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

wow... Okay, I\'ve never really takin any time to look through the hardware portion of this forum... but wow. I did a search regarding this issue and found a wealth of answers, and I think modifying the Vcache settings will take care of the prob, but there is still one unanswered question I have.

If you limit the vcache to 512mb, does that mean that software running under windows 98se just won\'t use it? If that\'s the case, I might as well uninstall the extra... This is a confusing issue and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi again Mike,

Disk cache is measured in Kbytes within the VCACHE section. So, my example specifies (only) 32 Mb (32 * 1024 = 32768 Kb).

Note that this is a lot less than 512 Mb!

Normally Windows uses a proportion of your RAM (I believe it\'s 25%, though not sure), limited to the Min and Max settings.

This scheme was created already for Windows 3.1 (!) and was ported to the 32-bit Windows 95/98 systems. Clearly not with todays PC\'s and GigaApplications in mind.

My feeling after having read lots of topics on this, is that a value between 16 and 64 Mb works best for Giga users. The higher, the less instruments you can load (you\'re loosing memory). The lower, the slower the instruments will load (you\'re loosing on disk performance). So, it\'s about finding an optimum. If 32 Mb works, forget about fine-tuning and continue with making music.

Have you already tried it?

Peter

Disk caching is always used in Operating Systems. For our application(s) we want to set it to a low value. Beyond the 512 Mb barrier you may even NEED to overrule the default settings.

This does not automatically means more disk activity, because there are other caching/buffering systems working as well, for instance your hard disks have onboard buffers and GigaSampler forces the initial portions of all samples to be in memory.

Here is an example of Microsoft info on this topic, there is a lot more to be found:
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q253912

Thanks Peter, everything is working wonderfully now. I set the vcache to use 64mb, and I might experiment back down to 32 just to see which I like best, or if I can even notice a difference. I got my question answered too reg the extra ram getting used as soon as I loaded GS and pulled up a .gsp file that used to say took up 23% of my ram, and now it says only 9% is used. Outstanding, and thank you for the help!

Go Back to forum