• Register
  • Help

Topic: Simple question about editing instruments

Share/Bookmark

Simple question about editing instruments

Hello all! I have a bunch of GIGs for a flute -- different articulations and so forth. What I\'d like to do is put them all on the same MIDI channel and have different ones play depending on patch change messages, which is convenient for me to sequence. I know that GS is designed to work this way.

But how do I make the appropriate .gig file? The only way I have been able to figure out is to export all of the samples from all of the existing gigs and then manually rebuild the different instruments in a new gig file. This is a very laborious process which will take hours and hours and is really silly since the instruments have already been created. I must be missing something. How can I combine existing instruments into a new gig file?

Thanks!

Re: Simple question about editing instruments

> The only way I have been able to figure out is to export all of the
    > samples from all of the existing gigs and then manually rebuild
    > the different instruments in a new gig file

That’s currently the way you have to do it if you want everything on one gig file. (!?!)

You cab load them all into GS as separate files, and still use Program changes to access them. Be sure to save the setup as a performance, to make sure the Program change numbers stay the same.

Re: Simple question about editing instruments

Thanks, Bill!

I didn\'t realize that I could load multiple .gig files into the same MIDI channel. Whew! I don\'t actually care if they are in one .gig file or not (until someday when I get ambitious and try to make layered crossfades out of some of them). You saved me a bunch of time! Thank you!

Go Back to forum