• Register
  • Help

Topic: how can i put out a score of a free time midi performance? notation problem.

Share/Bookmark

how can i put out a score of a free time midi performance? notation problem.

here is the problem :

i am using protools 7.3.1 le to score a musical using mostly midi.

all tracks were played free time (without click or a tempo map).

but... along the production i did create some tempo changes on the tempo track to speed up/slow down some sections.

now comes the time i have to put out a score

is there a notation software that can get the tempo out of a free time performance and by that put the BAR markers in the right place ?

or do i have to do something like baet detective but manualy in the notation software to divide the performance to bars and tempos correctly ?

in short, is there an elegant way of notating a free time midi performance or do i have to work my off and go note by note or bar by bar and put in it's time value ?

i know pt 8 will have a score editor but i am not sure that this will solve my problem.

Re: how can i put out a score of a free time midi performance? notation problem.

Quote Originally Posted by musicproject View Post
    here is the problem :

i am using protools 7.3.1 le to score a musical using mostly midi.

all tracks were played free time (without click or a tempo map).

but... along the production i did create some tempo changes on the tempo track to speed up/slow down some sections.

now comes the time i have to put out a score

is there a notation software that can get the tempo out of a free time performance and by that put the BAR markers in the right place ?

or do i have to do something like baet detective but manualy in the notation software to divide the performance to bars and tempos correctly ?

in short, is there an elegant way of notating a free time midi performance or do i have to work my off and go note by note or bar by bar and put in it's time value ?

i know pt 8 will have a score editor but i am not sure that this will solve my problem.

I believe there are really only two paths that you can take at this point. I assume that by "free time" you mean that you played it in expressively, but it still has a time signature, like 4/4. In that case you can try quantizing the midi file in pro tools and exporting it, then importing it into the notation program. This will require some heavy editing after the midi file has been imported. It also depends a little bit on how "free" you were. If you kept a pretty even pulse and stretched it in a few places, you would have less editing than if you dragged everything out and were "over the top".

The second path would be to use Finale or Sibelius' ability to connect your keyboard, and play everything in again as square as you can. I would actually recommend this. Being that you played it in manually in the first place, I would assume you have a pretty good handle on your pieces. Even if there's some crazy things, you can always come back and edit them in with the mouse.

Either way, it will require some editing. If you're fast with a notation program, then the first will just be a lot of busy work. However, the second way that I mentioned should require less work overall, and thus be a lot quicker.

I personally recommend Finale, but that's just because it's what I'm used to. Sibelius would probably do you just as well. Finale has very good midi import capabilities. I've done a lot of importing midis found on the internet and then setting them up for GPO using Finale, so I can say that it would be helpful. I'm sure Sibelius has something similar if not identical.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Go Back to forum