• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vi's vs Hardware: What in your studio?

Share/Bookmark

Vi's vs Hardware: What's in your studio?

I'd very much like to hear your guys thoughts on the use of hardware synth's ect. in your set ups. Is there still a place in your studio rigs for that favorite keyboard/synth or has software vi's replaced and surpassed them in your experience. I'm hoping not to start an age old debate I just need a fresh perspective.

ms
    Last edited by Mindstorm; 11-04-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: because I can't spell :)

Re: Vi's vs Hardware: What in your studio?

In general, virtual instruments give us much more than hardware can - in terms of RAM (for sampled instruments), CPU power (for modelled instruments) and not least the price/performance ratio of plugins versus hardware.

I have a fair amount of hardware in my studio but hardly any of it has been switched on in the last few years. That said, I did use them for one major job a few weeks ago. I had got fed up with Logic crashing due to lack of free RAM and also just knew where certain sounds were that I needed, rather than searching endlessly through various plugins.

Both have their strengths then but more and more often the hardware is being left switched off.

I use both...I'm old school and prefer pattern based sequencing versus linear....I use a Motif XS6 which has a built in sampler and have the RAM maxed....I basically use the Motif to sequence a part and use the PC as a sound module....Then I'll sample that sequence as a sample into the Motif and move on to the next part....As long as I have the PC tempo set at the same as the Motif, I can play Arps,listen to RMX beats against my pattern etc....I can use all those great effects that's included in RMX to mash,mince,whatever, then sample that beat into the Motif and maybe even a couple of the hits as a couple of one shots to add in where I want then disable that track to free up CPU to work on another part....This works great for me because I can use all the great VST stuff within my pattern base and still not max out the CPU on the PC....The great thing about this is I'm only saving samples that are being used within the song...Nothing extra....After I have a complete song, it gets dumped back over to Sonar as a stereo mix where I can then add vocals,guitar, or whatever and then mix down and master from there.....I can tell you I'm in the minority of working this way for sure!

Even with all my work on virtual instruments, there are a few classic hardware synths that I use regularly and would never get rid of:

Jupiter 8
    CS-80
    Minimoog

There's an immediacy and interaction to these instruments that I love and having to create the sounds from scratch every time for each piece of music keeps me fresh creatively and musically. There's an advantage to not having patch memory sometimes.

....and of course there are a few virtual instruments that I use a lot too. ;-)

spectrum

"i'm not dead until they pry my Jupiter 8 from my cold clenched fingers"

I keep a Korg N1rm connected and my old E-mu Virtuoso. Sometimes they layer really nice with the Vsti's. I use them rarely but it's nice to have them available. If I wasnt in a band, I'd have the rest of my synths tied into my midi interface for use too but it's just too much work to setup and tear down constantly.

Korg Tr-Rack will never leave my studio (unless KORG releases vsti version pf trinity).
    I'm also planning on getting Roland XV module,
    but Edirol HyperCanvas has me covered on roland sounds pretty much, especially on that "12-String guitar".

(hardware i would like to get: Roland XV, Motif XS, V-Synth)

software: Reason4, StylusRMX, HyperSonic2, SampleTank, VirtualGuitarist, Purity, Proteus

I also use both, although I prefer hardware because it's so much easier to use and so far, no software has been able to replace my Hammond, Mellotron, Dot Com synth, DSI PEK, Univox Minikorg, Moog Etherwave Pro, or guitars and basses for sound quality or playability. But some of my software can do things that none of my hardware can do. For instance, I don't have room for a real piano, so a virtual one must do. Same with drums. Also, there are quite a few softsynths around that are unique in their own right and were never intended to replace a particular piece of hardware.

Smile Re: Vi's vs Hardware: What in your studio?

Nope, you are not alone. I use my new Roland fantom G as the Brains (128 tracks)sequencer 24 audio recorder... Then use 2 PC's for vsti's.. Like you, i can record the vsti in realtime back into the fantom g using one of the 24 audio tracks.. Can I say Beautiful..

Then, via (Nuendo, Pro Tools) for final mixing.. BUT!!! , to be very honest Roland's converters in the Fantom G are so good that, I can really mix a song right in there..Really.. Big, and Phatt & wide imaging..

P.S.
    We are praying that Eric P is working with Roland to produce a Omnispher/Atmosphere ARX expansion card.. Please!!!!!!

Also, some songs beggs for the MPC, so the MPC becomes the sequencer brains,

Quote Originally Posted by Moonmusic View Post
    I use both...I'm old school and prefer pattern based sequencing versus linear....I use a Motif XS6 which has a built in sampler and have the RAM maxed....I basically use the Motif to sequence a part and use the PC as a sound module....Then I'll sample that sequence as a sample into the Motif and move on to the next part....As long as I have the PC tempo set at the same as the Motif, I can play Arps,listen to RMX beats against my pattern etc....I can use all those great effects that's included in RMX to mash,mince,whatever, then sample that beat into the Motif and maybe even a couple of the hits as a couple of one shots to add in where I want then disable that track to free up CPU to work on another part....This works great for me because I can use all the great VST stuff within my pattern base and still not max out the CPU on the PC....The great thing about this is I'm only saving samples that are being used within the song...Nothing extra....After I have a complete song, it gets dumped back over to Sonar as a stereo mix where I can then add vocals,guitar, or whatever and then mix down and master from there.....I can tell you I'm in the minority of working this way for sure!

i pretty much abandoned any hardware at least in terms of synth and other outboard gear like FX, compressors, EQs etc.
    The only survivor is my Moog Voyager.
    I invested in several hardwarecontrollers to get the most out of my plugins like the BC-3 Yamaha breathcontroller, the Zendrum, Doepfer Ribbon Controller, V-drums, Korg Microcontrol etc.

Hans

Go Back to forum