• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ping: S4L et al

Ping: S4L et al

Don't have the bread for it right now but I'm wondering ...

What do you think of the idea of getting a laptop with a broken screen ($$$ savings) from Ebay and dropping it into a 1U rack along with the power supply, external drive, and whatever automatic power-on/off circuitry is needed?

I'm thinking ASIO4ALL + Forte' + VST softsynths = 1U sound module

If it was 12.5" LCD size there you could probably fit two and still be smaller than the typical server.

Re: Ping: S4L et al

If the screen is broke, then does the seller really know if it works? How did it break? What else is broken?

Most laptops have an external video port that will continue to function if the screen is broken. Reasons for breakage are various - I've read explanations from the dog jumped in the person's lap when the laptop was there to being "sat on" to just getting knocked off the table.

Buy a used 1U for peanuts on ebay.
    Then buy 2 x ITX motherbaords from Supermicro for a dual PC in a 1U. They are 6.7" x 6.7" generally.
    I use a 1U QWERTY w/ a 4 Port KVM switcher to run 2 x 4U DAW's.
    I was shocked at my buddy's DIY 1U that does the same amount of VST work w/ a 2 port KVM 1U QWERTY.
    He runs Kontackt on both of them and it has twice the power of the new SM PRO AUDIO V RACK, which is a great way to avoid the 64bit farce.

Not sure I'd want to try getting all that wired up without blowing it all up. Thats not for the faint hearted. I've made 5 PC now but sorting out the bits separately WOW
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

We have a builder who has all of the tools necessary to make ITX, mATX and eATX fit any chassis.
    Same thing with my truck, when I want the oil changed, I take it to a pro.
    Besides it's nice to have somebody to blame other than myself.

In my previous life I wirewrapped up a 6809 (Motorola) based drum machine. That's pin to pin on the chips themselves, no motherboards involved. It was roughly the same power as a Radio Shack Coco but with midi and an LCD display instead of video. Embedded computers is what I used to do for a living. I assemble and maintain all my computers and unless there are warranty issues I repair all my electronics. I'd still have to read up some more on ITX motherboards to understand all the parameters but I think I can handle putting one in a box.

Go Back to forum