• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music Tech Dept: Forget Samples -Musical robot plays perfectly

Share/Bookmark

Music Tech Dept: Forget Samples -Musical robot plays perfectly

The Daily Mail reports:

Classical musicians could have good reason to be worried as scientists have developed a musical robot that makes no mistakes.

Waseda University’s robotic flautist can play the challenging musical score of the ‘Flight of the Bumblebee’ almost flawlessly....

Thanks to a series of technical advances, the latest version makes smoother transitions between notes than the original model built in 2003. [a better legato mode that GPO??]

The robot’s mouth and lungs have been carefully designed to mimic the expert air control of a professional flautist.

The scientists created artificial lips with the elasticity of human lips and embedded pins, which control their shape.

The robot’s tongue has been redesigned to enable the double-tonguing technique – the high-speed playing used throughout the famous ‘Flight of the Bumblee’.

It even has an in-built mechanism to create vibrato, which can take human players years to master, that changes the amplitude and frequency of the robot’s airflow....

Research on the musical robot began in 1990, with the aim that it would eventually rival human musicians.

But the WF-4RIV is more than just a gimmick. The makers hope to make it sophisticated enough to achieve better human-computer interaction and then teach music to pupils.

Re: Music Tech Dept: Forget Samples -Musical robot plays perfectly

What, no circular breathing?

On the plus side, no spit to clean. And immune to criticisms!

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphal View Post
    And immune to criticisms!
    Other than, "It sounds too lifeless."

Rob

I'm not worried, I still know many flute players that can play it better; and, the last note was flat, intonation Mr. Automation is suspect to degradation!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Amazingly lifeless!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Too bad scientists are not pro musicians. THEN they might have a chance in making something good. But right now, they probably think it plays well, but it's rubbish! (and on the slow side, apart from lifeless, which is to be expected! )

Oh well...

And there I was hoping to sack all my orchestras and have robots, I still have to keep them...

They just don't get it.... Who wants a robot that plays flute? Get it to wash dishes or push a vacuum. Something like Rosie. Then get to work on my flying car.

Quote Originally Posted by linwood View Post
    They just don't get it.... Who wants a robot that plays flute? Get it to wash dishes or push a vacuum. Something like Rosie. Then get to work on my flying car.
    These scientists are usually high-flutin'

"These scientists are usually high-flutin' " - Garritan

Ouch! That hurt.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Now if they invented robots that replace the scientists, that would be scary.

Go Back to forum