• Register
  • Help

Topic: Soniccouture's Guheng!! WOW

Share/Bookmark

Soniccouture's Guheng!! WOW

http://www.soniccouture.com/pages/guzheng.php

That is just amazing!! Really really amazing!!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Re: Soniccouture's Guheng!! WOW

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat View Post
    http://www.soniccouture.com/pages/guzheng.php

That is just amazing!! Really really amazing!!

Very cool. I was thinking about sampling one of these a while back. Might still yet. This is certainly enough to make me wonder if it's worth the time.

I even added Bei Bei (the lady playing the video demo) as a friend on Myspace with intent to consult with her if I decided to proceed. Looks like SC was developing the exact same plan in parallel.

Nice Job Guys!

Belbin

This is one example of an instrument where true legato needs to be sampled instead of using pitch-bend. Kong Audio's Guzheng surpasses it in this area IMO because of that. Using pitch bend just sound artificial. Also, Kong Audio's Guzheng is mellower. Soniccouture's is too bright to my liking.

Cheez,

Decaying instruments do not exactly benefit from true legato: It's impossible to make the transitions seamless for all of the infinite possible durations after which the player may choose bend the note. Complicating matters is the further problem that different overtones decay at different rates - we're dealing with an evolving sound.

While I agree that the pitchwheel has its inherent problems with sounding fake, I think the way they've done it is way more practical for an instrument of this nature. The user can always work on their playing (gasp!) or tweak their MIDI recording after the fact.

Belbin

True, but Kong Audio captured that pretty well, although I can hear some overlaps in samples when slides between the notes are triggered. Note slides/bends are extremely common when playing the guzheng. I believe it's one of the most important component for the instrument. So using the pitch bend all the time...to me just doesn't work out well.

Maybe modelling is the answer?

Go Back to forum