• Register
  • Help

Topic: Alan Belkin's website: new for some and a reminder for others

Share/Bookmark

Alan Belkin's website: new for some and a reminder for others

Just thought I'd share a site that I rediscovered as I was browsing through some of my bookmarks. Alan Belkin's website is a great resource for articles on composition and orchestration as well as some piano performance articles. In my opinion Mr. Belkin has a uniquely practical way of talking about various aspects of music composition. These articles have been very helpful to me and I envy those fortunate enough to have studied with him face to face.

The site has been updated with audio examples from Alan's music and is available in French and German (the link is to the English index page).

Steve Winkler

Re: Alan Belkin's website: new for some and a reminder for others

For those of you considering a University degree in composition, I can (from first-hand experience) assure you that professor Belkin is probably the single finest teacher in this country.

His inate comprehension of what his student's exact needs are, is mind-boggling. And his group classes are so much fun, you forget you're doing something "serious".

After hearing music by at least a dozen of his grad students (myself included), the one thing that sticks out the most, is the variety! NONE of them sound like replicas of their teacher. And add to that the extremely wide variety of music created by these (past) students, and you become aware of the tremendous openness that professor Belkin has towards all styles of music.

I cannot rave enough about my experience as his student. And I am so privileged to count him among my best friends at this time, as well.

Re: Alan Belkin's website: new for some and a reminder for others

Hi Michel,

This is OT but I understand that Prof. Belkin has a very talented grad sstudent named Alexandre Podzniakov. I was wondering if he is any relation to the great Russian sabre fencer Stanislav Podzniakov. I watched (on the internet) the bout between him and Keeth Smart in the semifinals at the olympics. He is awsome.

Go Back to forum