• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help Please

Help Please

I Bought GPO version 3 a couple of days ago and when i try to open it I get a message saying:

KontaktPlayer2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something the information you were working on might be lost.
    Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
    We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

I dont know what to do. I use a PC, Windows XP, 2.5GB RAM
    Ive tried reinstalling it, and i know i got the right sound card.
    I need some help please

Re: Help Please

Hi alchemy,

Welcome to the Garritan forum on Northernsounds. Sorry to read about your troubles. One thing you might try is seeing that you have the latest version of Kontakt Player 2: 2.2.4. You can download the installer from the Native Instruments website (login required). Start by running the 2.2.3 installer, restarting, and then running the 2.2.4 updater.

Re: Help Please

That error message is a very generic one which means 'the program crashed unexpectedly', and rather than let the program just disappear, Windows intervenes (I think its the DrWatson debugger) and give this error message. I think therefore it is going to be quite hard for anyone to diagnose (though do follow Reegs' advice).

I have found using Process Monitor though has helped me in the past solve this sort of thing. It is available here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx

If you run the Process Monitor program, then run GPO, and try to start GPO at an exact clock time (so its easy to look in the log for related events), you should then be able to look at the process monitor log and see what was happening and what steps failed as the program crashed. For example I had a soft-synth that always caused that error, and found from the log it was trying to update the content of a file that the installer had set to read-only [solution, right click and unclicked read only]! On another occasion another piece of software was looking for a windows 'standard' dll file that wasn't actually on my PC (so I searched for it online and dumped it into my SYSTEM32 folder where it was looking and presto).

If you need any help interpreting the Process Monitor log, then do post here/PM.

Lastly reluctant as I am to suggest 'stab in the dark' solutions, then one thing to definitely try is switching off hardware acceleration from your graphics card (right click on desktop)..properties>Settings>advanced button>troubleshooting>move slider all the way to left.

Go Back to forum