• Register
  • Help

Topic: Viewing problems and security requirements in later Adobe Flash

Viewing problems and security requirements in later Adobe Flash

First, Gary, may I add my kudos and thanks for this terrific resource.

There are several posts here from people having trouble seeing the Flash videos. While I can't promise to have the answer for anyone in particular, it's a pretty good guess that if you've had these problems starting after getting a newer version of Flash Player (as I just did), it's probably because of new, stricter security requirements Adobe has incorporated into it pertaining to some kinds of cross-domain access attempts. If these features are what's causing the problems, viewers cannot do anything to fix it, other than downgrading to an older version of Flash (not recommended).

If I've got that right (and that's a big "if"), then, according to what I've been able to find in Adobe's Knowledge Base and some web research on messages in Firefox's error console, there seem to be two possible explanations. For the technically inclined:

1) Late versions have added a feature that requires web host administrators for domains outside the domain where the movie itself is located to add a policy file at the server root that tells Flash Player what it can and can't access at that site. Here are some of the pertinent Adobe Knowledge Base articles:

General: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14213
    Headers: http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403185

If this is the case, then, if I read it right, the admins at northernsounds.com would put a policy file at the root of the server.

2) What seems more likely, though, is that the Flash movies are trying to send one of the headers that Flash now blocks unconditionally. I am basing this guess on observing that Flash is not trying to access a policy file when it loads these movies, suggesting that these are the headers that can't be permitted that way.

In that case, I suspect the fix would have to be reworking the Flash movies themselves.

Here's the KB on that. (The reference to ActionScript pertains to what's happening internally, from the viewpoint of the developer of the movie, not something we would observe trying to view it.)

And, just to add to the mayhem,

which might mean a different explanation.
    Last edited by Ray Simard; 11-08-2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Clarification

Re: Viewing problems and security requirements in later Adobe Flash

y, thanks for your very thorough reply! Your explanation seems to be right on target. So, as I understand, there isn't really anything we can do about it, the folks at Northern Sounds will have to re-work it. That's kind of a bummer, but man, I'm enjoying the lessons on orchestration.

Re: Viewing problems and security requirements in later Adobe Flash

Hi, I'm back. Sorry to bother everyone again. I can't seem to get to the bottom of resolving the viewing problems in the score examples for myself. Can anyone else see them? I've sent the moderator a PM, but so far, nothing seems to be happening. I was very excited about proceeding through the course and learning a lot, but now, I'm having trouble understanding the content without access to the examples. Ray, thank you again for your thorough explanation. Can you think of anything that we, as users can do to get access to them? Northern Sounds, thank you for offering this course, but please help us access the examples so that the educational value of the course can be preserved! Happy new year.

Go Back to forum