• Register
  • Help

Topic: DP Tutorial Question

Share/Bookmark

DP Tutorial Question

I have purchased Digital performer 6 and I want a video tutorial that is thorough when it comes to composing, rendering as well as midi to notation. I have looked at some but I want to make sure they don't just gloss over this aspect and are mainly for studio recording and production.

Phil

Re: DP Tutorial Question

Hi Phil,
    don't hesitate to ask questions about DP,
    I don't know everything about it, but enough.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Phil,
    don't hesitate to ask questions about DP,
    I don't know everything about it, but enough.
    Dan
    Dan is overly modest! He is a DP guru at large!

A few other places to look at...

I purchased a DVD from macaudiolab.com and was very happy with it. You can also download tutorials at their website. I can recommend them with confidence.

One of the best things is go to motunation.com and do a search on topics you would like to cover. You will find lots of free info and you can use the answers to help you through a project. There is no substitute for just plowing through a few simple projects!

One last piece of advice. Use Skype to call DPDan at 2:00 am and ask him how to turn MIDI into audio. Just kidding. Call him at 3:00 am!

Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions either here or at motunation.com!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by lfo View Post
    use skype to call dpdan at 2:00 am and ask him how to turn midi into audio. Just kidding. call him at 3:00 am!

-kevin
    ha ha ha ha

Dan

Thanks much. It's nice to know I can get some one on one help if my brain fails me. I'm sure you know it well.

Kevin

Yes, that's the DVD I was interested in. I'll check out all those resources. I'm looking forward to mastering DP and utilizing all or at least most of it's music creation capabilities. What I seen so far is really nice.

I appreciate the help.

Phil

Phil, in 2004 a friend of mine convinced me to quit using real sound gear to record and mix music and go with a computer because of it's automation and many other advantages. I am a recording engineer, but only after a few months of having DP, I decided it was time to teach myself this thing called midi. Since I have no music training of any kind, I bought GPO so I could at least learn the immediate basics of midi, and it was DP and GPO that taught me what I know about midi. Here is the first song I produced for a singer in Ft. Worth Texas. It is all GPO. Alabaster Box well, the vocal is real

My friend Jay told me to get the most powerful Mac desktop computer I could afford and then get MOTU's Digital Performer. I did what he said and have never looked back. While Pro Tools, Nuendo and many of the other DAW programs have similar features, Jay told me that Digital Performer was so awesome because of how many different ways one can achieve the same task.

So, take the advice he gave me, do not ever get bummed out or overwhelmed at all the features, it is very likely that not one person ever uses all of what DP has to offer. Just use what you know, and when you have an hour to spare go to the "commands " window and look at the default DP shortcuts. there you can learn so much about DP. Learn shortcuts starting today, it takes way too long to use the mouse (trackball) for most things.

Do yourself a favor now, quit using the consolidated window.
    In the "windows" tab, choose "pop out of consolidated windows", that thing is just way too cluttered and confusing.

shift S = sequence editor window
    shift G = graphics editor
    shift T = tracks window
    shift M = mixer
    shift B = sound-bites window
    command S = save
    command Z = undo
    option command Z = undo, undo, undo, undo, etc
    shift command Z = redo redo redo etc.
    shift command M = create midi track
    shift command S = create stereo audio track
    shift command A = create mono audio track
    shift K = markers list window
    control M = create marker
    option A = audio assignments

Trust me, you will learn all these and use them without even thinking about it. You can make your own shortcuts in the "commands" window too
    If you would like, PM me your mailing address and I will mail you a few DP projects on DVD's that you can load up on your Mac, then you can use it to play with. Of course it would be a project with Garritan instruments, midi and audio.

Dan

Go Back to forum