• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB CC Controller data in CAKEWALK SONAR 7

Share/Bookmark

JABB CC Controller data in CAKEWALK SONAR 7

I'm playing with my big band arrangements.

I'm new to SONAR 7 and was wondering if there was a way to copy all the CC data in a track to a different track.

I have two trumpets that I want to be playing with similar CC data and figured there has to be a way to just copy and paste the CC data from Trumpet 1 to Trumpet 2, and then just make small alterations for realism.

Re: JABB CC Controller data in CAKEWALK SONAR 7

The following may work
    Take Trumpet 1
    Make a duplicate copy say Trumpet 1a
    Remove notes, leaving the CC only
    Pick up the notes from Trumpet 2 (ctrl C you know or whatever that other make of computer does)
    Place notes in Trumpet 1a ( ctrl V)
    Important make sure you put the notes in the right place

Of course if you had Cubase, you can "Open List Edit", filter out the notes and pick up the control straight from Trumpet 1 and paste then into Trumpet 2.

You might be able to do that in Sonar, but the first method, though longer should work on any system
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Open Track 1 and select all of it. Process/Filter whichever controller you want. Edit/Copy. Open Track 2, place Now Time Cursor at the same place as it was in Track 1 and Paste. It's just like any other copy paste operation. The trick is to have the Now Time Cursor in exactly the same spot so that the CC data is pasted into the correction position on Track 2.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Thanks so much for the quick responses! It sounds great!

bmdaustin,

you said process/filter when you mean edit/select by filter? When you say "open" track don't you mean "select" or "highlight"? Then you go edit/copy and select the track that you're copying to and click paste? Doesn't work here!

EDIT: I was missing a step in these instructions, so now I've corrected the post - This outline of how to use "select by filter" is now correct.

Hi, Ron - You've responded to a thread that's almost a year old, so bmdaustin may not see your question. But I can help out.

What he meant, or at least what actually works is:

--Highlight original track.
    --Edit>Select>By Filter
    --In the Filter box, check "exc" (exclude) next to the first row which is for notes - You've just excluded all the notes in the selection.
    --Use the "Copy" command - that will copy only what you've already selected, which in this case is everything except the notes.
    --Move to second track (leaving cursor in exactly same position)
    --Paste - controllers will be pasted without notes.

Of course you can exclude anything else you don't want.

Randy

Randy, the problem for me is when I select the second track to copy to, the paste menu item is grayed out! Why is it grayed out?

EDIT: I had my wires crossed when I wrote this post, so I've deleted the incorrect info.

Hi, Ron--It bugs me when I haven't explained something well enough. You realize you need to select the entire original track first - the filter then limits what you've selected to just the CC data minus the notes.

Randy

Randy, I didn't use "copy" I only used "select by filter" after selecting the first trac, just like you said, and I still get a grayed out "paste" menu item after I select the track to paste to. It just doesn't work that way! You have to select "copy" after you filter the event in the first track to get the "paste" menu to not be grayed out! Still I not sure if I paste to the second track that it actually worked!

Quote Originally Posted by ronboykin View Post
    Still I not sure if I paste to the second track that it actually worked!
    Pretty easy to check. If you select both the "from" and the "to" track in the Event List editor, each CC should appear twice.

Go Back to forum