• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Chopin Nocturne in C#m, op. posth.

Chopin Nocturne in C#m, op. posth.

I was in a pensive mood last night, so I thought of recording this.

Garritan Authorized Steinway, Under Lid.

Confession: Played in realtime but some notes edited in Sonar.

Re: Chopin Nocturne in C#m, op. posth.

absolutely beautiful. this was extremely well played. even if you did cheat a bit by editing, i'd imagine the vast majority had to have been played in real time. the rendering was fantastic as well. great job on this.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

How lovely to hear this chopin piece first thing in the morning,
    played with your sensitive musicality!

I would say that while recording and not editing it in a DAW
    can show one's talent in playing live, recording AND editing it
    can really bring out little details that may escape in the recording.

Why not use these wonderful tools that we have for getting the best results?

For me, first of all, comes the musical interpretation, and to get that
    I would use any tools that I have...

Glad you were in that pensive mood.

Hi, Yudit and Keith!

Thank you so much for your heartwarming words! Yes, the piece was played mostly realtime. No editing of tempo was done. I only edited velocity on some notes in the descending portion of the long scale near the ending. I got the ascending notes right but the downward passage had some uneven velocities. I have not been practicing in a while.

Absolutely a topper.

Central Illinois

Jun, Thank you for sharing this beautiful and entrancing piece with us.
    I admire your interpretive abilities, great job playing this! John (bigears)

Very nice, indeed!
    I always appreciate a pianist who can play Chopin from the heart.

So, from reading other comments I understand that this was recorded to midi first and then rendered using Garritan Steinway, right?

That is an excellent approach. You get all the nuances of a live performance and the ability to tweak and fix those little annoyances,that are probably most noticeable to performer and not the audience. But satisfaction comes from hearing a wonderful performance. I don't think that is cheating. After all, you have to understand the piece, understand the technigue and understand your own capabilities in order to go back and edit those areas that are most offensive to an excellent polished performance.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Congratulations!, it was performed with the adequate character, with a deep feeling, nostalgic and intimate. Excellent.

John, thank you for the kind words. Thank you also for introducing me to the Garritan Steinway. Your demo made my decision to purchase much easier.

Rich, this was played live on the Garritan Steinway, then rendered after some editing. I am not a professional pianist (didn't go to conservatory learning music theory), so I play from the heart.

Victor, I also enjoyed your Ravel so much. You must be famous where you live!

Dublin, Ireland

Excellent playing and you caught the atmosphere and character of the piece very well. The Authorized Steinway (under lid ) worked nicely here.
    Very enjoyable!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast