• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Hornish Rhapsody"

Share/Bookmark

"Hornish Rhapsody"

Y'all All,

I wrote "Hornish Rhapsody" this morning. (I love puns.)

This is a work for solo "French" horn and strings. I tried for realism and I hope that I achieved a little of that. I believe that it is one of my best works. You can be the judge of that.

The instruments are from the GPO and Kontakt 3 sample libraries.

Regards to everyone,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Hornish Rhapsody"

Hi Larry, I hope your pain has subsided.
    So, you can do slow stuff too

Dan

A very nice horn piece Larry. It was strong on realism and I think one of your best.

The horn was not too difficult but would require a strong sense of intonation and breath support with those low notes.

We had a horn player in the small orchestra for our summer musical and I would wince when they were in the lower register and a note here and there was a little flat which is easy to do on the horn as it's the most difficult instrument to keep in tune with.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Larry, I hope your pain has subsided.
    So, you can do slow stuff too

Dan
    Is that your comment regarding this composition? If so, I don't understand.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    A very nice horn piece Larry. It was strong on realism and I think one of your best.

The horn was not too difficult but would require a strong sense of intonation and breath support with those low notes.

We had a horn player in the small orchestra for our summer musical and I would wince when they were in the lower register and a note here and there was a little flat which is easy to do on the horn as it's the most difficult instrument to keep in tune with.

Phil
    I don't believe that an experienced, professional hornist with stainless steel lips would have any problems with this work. Someone like Dennis Brain wouldn't miss a note. Remember him?

I appreciate your comments, as always, Mr. Phil. Thanks.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry,
    my comment was acknowledging that you can indeed
    write slower tempi music compared to your usual fast tempo'd baroquish tunes
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Larry,
    my comment was acknowledging that you can indeed
    write slower tempi music compared to your usual fast tempo'd baroquish tunes
    Dan
    Ahh haa. OK.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry!

I hope all is well with you and that you're well into recovery from those uncomfortable shingles. (Ouch! )

Although each orchestral instrument has its own quality of sound that I enjoy, the sound of the French Horn has always been one of my favorites. I love the French Horn sound. Admittedly, I know very little in how to realistically bring out that sound so that it can be performed live. I recall being told that its not a very easy instrument to play; that it is a very challenging instrument to write for. Regardless, whenever I "score" for a French Horn part, I "write" for that "sound" that I enjoy and not worry too much about actual playability.

This is a lovely composition written for one of my favorite orchestral instruments, Larry. Its a delightful listen. You are a much more crafted composer so I can only imagine that you wrote this piece that can actually be performed by a seasoned French Horn player. In other words, you wrote for both sound and playability? Yes? No? If so, I hope that you get a chance to hear it performed live by a French Horn player! I bet it would be a fun, enjoyable and most rewarding listen!

Nice work, Mr. Larry! Thanks for sharing!

Warm regards,

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Many thanks, Theodore for the kind words.

I have known a couple of excellent horn players in my lifetime and they could play practically anything. The main problem with the horn is its small mouthpiece, of course. Also, the rotary valves are more sluggish (and perhaps more cumbersome) than other brass instruments.

I am recovering from the dreaded shingles. I hope that I never have them again. Thanks for inquiring.

Best Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Many thanks, Theodore for the kind words.

I have known a couple of excellent horn players in my lifetime and they could play practically anything. The main problem with the horn is its small mouthpiece, of course. Also, the rotary valves are more sluggish (and perhaps more cumbersome) than other brass instruments.

I am recovering from the dreaded shingles. I hope that I never have them again. Thanks for inquiring.

Best Regards,

Larry
    Hi again, Larry! I am so glad to read that you're recovering and that (hopefully) most of that horrible discomfort is history!

Regarding the French Horn. That small mouth piece! I know remember one of the reasons why it's a difficult instrument to play (and play so that it sounds nice).

Again, nice work Larry! Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast