• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Because" for woodwind trio

Central Illinois

"Because" for woodwind trio

Hi everyone, I have been absent for awhile dealing with some health issues but lately I have felt good enough to fool around with this arrangement of the Beatle's song "Because." I have arranged it for a woodwind trio, (flute, oboe, & english horn) accompanied by harp, piano, and bass. This is the GAS piano (close perspective) and the woodwinds are all from Westgate Studios. The harp is the X-Sample Concert Harp and the bass is from Bardstown Audio. This was sequenced in Sonar and I used Altiverb for the reverbs.
    The story I remember hearing about this song, which is from the Abbey Road LP, is that Yoko Ono introduced John to Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" and Lennon took the arpeggios from the sonata and stood them on their head and came up with "Because."
    Please feel free to share your response to this. I consider myself to be a real novice with MIDI and samples and hope to learn from the members here. I hope this isn't too inept an attempt at this, and that it will be enjoyed. Thanks, John (bigears)
    You can listen or download here: http://www.box.net/shared/osxe2ey7a9

Re: "Because" for woodwind trio

Hope you are feeling better. It's no fun playing with music when
    you aren't feeling that well.

Enjoyed your "Because." Lovely harp and other arranged instruments.
    They all sounded so well balanced.

Great job, John.

My only surprise was the ending. It sounded like the piece wasn't
    finished yet........Or, didn't I get it all?.............lol

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi John

Another Beatles Fan here! I actually own a book of band arrangements and orchestrations transcriptions of all of their music! I still think that a lot of their later music is "ahead of its time".

I am sorry to hear about your health. I hope that sequencing this piece brought some "diversional therapy" and healing. (I am ICU/CCU nurse. I sincerely believe that such "diversions" like composing and sequencing can be quite healing. )

Anyway. . . . Nice job with the sequencing. I've always liked "Because". It has been a long while since I listened to it. Curious, though. The ending does seem to end abruptly. Was this intentional? Is this how "Because" ends? I honestly don't remember. Also, it seems that there may be more "room" for more reverb. Of course how much reverb one uses is a matter of preference.

Thank you for sharing. Healing thoughts your way. . . .

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks for sharing this arrangement with us. You have definitely written a wonderful little arrangement of a great old Beatles tune. Did I just say "OLD"! I can't believe it has been over 40 years since the beatles first came to the musical front.

The harp had a nice flowing style. I like that. The piano which, I believe from your comments, is the only Garritan sample in the piece, was too far back in the mix for me. Bring it foward and move the harp farther back on stage. Also, The woodwinds were to distant and did not sound like they were your lead instruments. If this is a woodwind trio, shouldn't their sound be out front of everything just as singers vocals would be?

You did ask for a critique. I enjoyed the piece but would like to express what I thought were some problems. Please don't mis-understand my intent of my comments. They were merely constructive ideas.

Thanks again for sharing your work with us!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Central Illinois

Hi again, Thanks Jack, Ted, and Rich for listening and for your comments.
    I assure you that there are no hurt feelings and I do really welcome all criticism. I agree that the "staging" of the instruments and the use of reverb could benefit from some adjusting. I will continue to work on getting this right and maybe can update later. The woodwind "trio" represent the vocals on the original and I probably didn't get them up front where they belong.
    The ending on the original is what I tried to copy here, but the original vocals
    at the end were a lovely ethereal drawn out " Ahh..." on that final D diminished seventh chord, and then it was resolved nicely by the initial Amin7th of the next cut on the album "You Never Give Me Your Money."
    Every other place it is used, it resolves back to the C#minor chord, but at the ending is does just kind of hang there.
    Hmm, maybe you have to be in a late '60's frame of mind.
    Anyway, thanks for the pointers. Regards, John

Interesting story behind this -- I'd never heard that, John,
    though I've been an avid follower of the Beatles since I was
    a youngster.

Very lovely arrangement that captures the veiled sense of
    light and shadow while still retaining great clarity.

The one area I might suggest more thought is in the use
    of tempi... for instance, rolling up a little more steam as you
    move into a cadence; backing off as the next phrase
    starts; and so on.

Well done!

My best,

I loved the woodwind arrangement of this. Yes, I found the ending a bit abrupt but on second thought it really depends. On one hand it was different and kind of cool. On the other hand some would say abrupt. I have done many things in my pieces which I thought were cool but they bugged others. Some times I take them out and other times I keep them in. I don't want to distract people from the piece either if I get too quirky - but... Quirky pushes the limits and keep things interesting as well.

On the tecky side the mix was overall too low - If I was playing another song at this level I would have to rip my phones off! Piano is too far back as well. MAybe a bit off EQ for clarity in the harp.

Really enjoyed it though! Funny the way the world goes, etLux said he has never heard this song and he is a big fan of the Beatles. I am not a big fan (although I do recognize their huge contribution and talent) and this song is quite familiar to me. Chalk it up to walking in different circles I guess.

So I'm curious, how big "are" your ears?

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Central Illinois

You can be the judge. Thanks for listening and your comments Del!

This is a great arrangement!

But, since you kinda of asked for possible ideas to make it better, I will toss in my 2 cents worth.

As has been mentioned, bringing the piano up some would help a little, but I think the panning could use a little more spread as well. It seems like most of what is happening is all on the right side. MAybe something more to the left?

The ending does sound odd.

Still a very nice piece as is.

Here in Md, we once threatened one of our former Governors (Vice President Agnew) with making some license plates. He paid a huge fine and resigned the Vice-Presidency instead.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Shelton, Washington State

I liked this arrangement of one of Lennon's better tunes.

The lack of harmony within the band showed through on Abbey Road but it had some good ones.

Go Back to forum