• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere Multi Host Automation Conflicts in Logic

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere Multi Host Automation Conflicts in Logic

I have a multi of Omnisphere loaded up in Logic 8, with all eight parts going. I'm having huge issues with Automation conflict

For Example:

1) I choose "Enable Host Automation" on, say, the Cutoff filter on Part 1 of the Multi, it assigns #11 for the ID.

2) I now go to Part 3 of my multi, and choose "Enable Host Automation" for the Cutoff filter on that part of instrument. It also assigns #11 for the ID.

3) I draw in automation for both of these parts on their respective channels.

4) I play the arrangement, only to find the Cutoff filter jumping around wildly, because the same ID is assigned to the various cutoff filters within different Multi Parts.

HOW do I assign different IDs to multiple cut-off filters? It's driving me crazy.

Re: Omnisphere Multi Host Automation Conflicts in Logic

Just fired up Logic 8 to sort this out.

Tried to Follow your steps to reproduce problem. But could not.

#1 - Created a new track - tried both with & without, checking multi-timbral box.

#2 - Create an instance of Omni

#3 - Load a Multi

#4- Choose "enable host automation" on several parts (1-3) for the Cutoff Filter. Id #8 assigned to cutoff on part 1. Id#9 assigned to cutoff on part 2. Id #10 assigned to cutoff on part 3.

#5 - Select & Draw in automation for above Id#.

#6 - Run Logic, knobs turn, all follow respective automation.

Are you saying that your Omni does not assign host ID# in ascending increments? Is this consistent over different Omni's - even in a different project?

How bout after a good-ol double save & restart?

Midi learn will be a workaround if this is the case.

Midi-learn can be your best friend - set up a template (to use with your 88 Key monster controller M-audio keyboard), that can be loaded with each Omni. Having consistent CC#/ Id# will make controlling Omni/ RMX easier, IMHO.
    There is an app/ logic-add on over at LPH that lets your edit the CC list in logic 8, enabling you to modify the generic number list. Giving CC#'s, a label - like #10 is 'Cutoff - part 1', #11 is 'Resonance - part 1', etc. Really handy for to see what CC#/ ID# is controlling what, instead of just 1-128.
    Mac PPC 2ghz dual, 1.67 ghz PPC 17" lappy, Samson 65a, Logic 8.01 (dont use), Live 8.05 suite (dont fix what aint broke), Skull collection & Howling dogs.

Here's where it's happening:

- I have 8 instrument tracks (one for each part of the multi)
    - I enable host automation for the cutoff filter in part 1 of the multi, it gives me ID #8, which I then go to track 1 in the arrange window and draw out automation

- I then go to part 2 of my multi (track 2 in the arrange window), and enable host automation on the cut-off filter, and, it gives me ID #8!

- I can do the same on all 8 tracks, and the cut-off will always be assigned to ID #8

Obviously that can't work so the conflict ensues!!

Once I get set up again with my controller, I'll try the MIDI learn method.

Arghgghghg...

Just tried again, cannot reproduce your results.

Open an Empty Logic Project.
    Created a new Track. Selected Multi-timbral box, choose 8 tracks to be created.
    Logic creates tracks #1-#8

Opened Omnisphere in Track #1
    Selected a multi (in stack mode), 'Wavetable Vowels'.
    Added a part 3, 'Eternal Changeling', and added into Stack as well (for easy playing)

Selected part 1 > Cutoff > Enable Host Automation = ID# 8
    Selected part 2 > Cutoff > Enable Host Automation = ID# 9
    Selected part 3 > Cutoff > Enable Host Automation = ID# 10

Really strange that you always get ID# 11 (or same ID, wvr)
    So Omni & Logic function as expected here.
    Maybe you got a Corrupt Logic Project?

Have you tried with an Empty Project, or a different project to test if it is that instance of Omni in that project?
    Maybe it is your cat messing with you?
    Mac PPC 2ghz dual, 1.67 ghz PPC 17" lappy, Samson 65a, Logic 8.01 (dont use), Live 8.05 suite (dont fix what aint broke), Skull collection & Howling dogs.

Interesting... I'll try to re-create on my end as well. Perhaps my Logic file is becoming too monstrous, cats and all!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes709 View Post
    Interesting... I'll try to re-create on my end as well. Perhaps my Logic file is becoming too monstrous, cats and all!
    Wes,

I can confirm your problems. I see exactly the same thing.

I run Logic 8.02 (1502.22)
    I do not know what version of Omnisph I am running. Where is that indicated?

I can Enable Host Automation for ID 8. I do that for example on PAN for track #1 (in Omnisph multi).

When I Enable Host Automation for track #2 (for PAN) nothing happens.

/Jakob

Quote Originally Posted by JakobE View Post
    Wes,

I can confirm your problems. I see exactly the same thing.

I run Logic 8.02 (1502.22)
    I do not know what version of Omnisph I am running. Where is that indicated?

I can Enable Host Automation for ID 8. I do that for example on PAN for track #1 (in Omnisph multi).

When I Enable Host Automation for track #2 (for PAN) nothing happens.

/Jakob
    Let me just add that I use the automation in RMX and it works like a charm. I really hope Spectrasonics can set a "complete" automation list for Omnisphere as they have done for RMX. That would be really sweet.

To the original poster, write about this finding to Spectrasonics tech support and tell us what they say.
    This may be a known issue or it may not be. Either way, they need to know so they can fix it.

If I recall correctly, this was simply some confusion between multiple tracks and multiple instances. As Arafel demonstrated, it works correctly. If you have questions about automation, see the online manual: http://support.spectrasonics.net/omn...ion/index.html

- Glenn

Go Back to forum