• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Samples on Seperate Drives?

Share/Bookmark

Samples on Seperate Drives?

Hi All

I need your advice on running samples with Giga and Sonar on the same machine.

For Sounds Libraries do you use a seperate HD?

2. Does one install SONAR and GIGA on the main c: with Windows or is it more advantageous to install Giga on a partition and Cakewalk apps on another partition seperated, and have Windows all on its own?

Whats gives better results?

Sincerely

Dafrica

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Samples on Seperate Drives?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dafrica:
    Hi All

I need your advice on running samples with Giga and Sonar on the same machine.

For Sounds Libraries do you use a seperate HD?

2. Does one install SONAR and GIGA on the main c: with Windows or is it more advantageous to install Giga on a partition and Cakewalk apps on another partition seperated, and have Windows all on its own?

Whats gives better results?

Sincerely

Dafrica
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

There is no need to place the applications on a separate drive. Just install both in the default Program Files directory (the default prompt).

However, you will want to make certain that your SONAR wavedata directory and you GIG files are on a physically separate drive, and a 7200 RPM fast-access drive at that. Both applications can benefit from the very fastest hard drives you can find, but will perform well with off-the-shelf EIDE drives at 7200 RPM. Just don\'t try older 5400 RPM drives--you will not get great polyphony from Giga or track counts from SONAR with those. If it comes to a choice between the two, however, put your SONAR wavedata directory on the slower drive, since you will not be placing as much demand on it as Giga places on the Gig file drive.

I realize I was not very clear on a point...this is what I\'d consider the best setup if you want to use IDE for your data drives. You could always use SCSI and solve some problems, but it will end up costing you more money down the line for new drives. Instead, I recommend using the cheapest possible SCSI interface for your CD drives only, and dedicating the IDE channels to your work. That way, you get all the performance IDE can offer and minimize issues with DMA transfers that CD drives can sometimes cause. However, modern well-constructed CD drives CAN function effectively on IDE channels, you just need to take care in choosing the drive and be certain it will support the same DMA intensity as your hard drives.

The ideal set up will be for you to have three hard drives.

The boot drive will contain the OS and application files only--no data. I recommend NEVER putting your data on the C drive under any circumstances--this way, if you have an OS failure, you can simply wipe the drive clean and start over with no loss of work or pesky transfers. This can be a 5400 RPM drive, since you\'ll only use it for application and OS...no need for extreme speed. You will need to make this drive the primary IDE master.

The first \"data\" drive should be a 7200 RPM drive, and should be dedicated to your SONAR wavedata directory, plus any data storage you wish to place upon it. Again, don\'t let any application \"default\" your data to the C drive, like \"my documents\" etc. Point everything to a data drive. Make this drive the primary IDE slave.

The second \"data\" drive should also be a 7200 RPM drive, and should be reserved strictly for GIG files and other sampler files used by your applications (Halion or Reaktor for instance). Make this drive the secondary IDE master.

My personal recommendation for CD drives is to make them SCSI, as above. However, if this is not possible, make the CD drive the secondary IDE slave. If this causes problems, the next best compromise will be to make the CD drive the primary IDE slave, the \"D\" drive the secondary IDE master, and the \"E\" drive the secondary IDE slave, but this puts all the audio data throughput on one IDE channel instead of two, and could result in a bottleneck.

By following this regimen, your multitrack recordings should never be \"competing\" with your sampler for disk access. They will compete for CPU, of course.

Hope that helps illustrate some issues. There are other approaches (SCSI data drives) but this is the cheapest in the long run.

Bruce,

Thank you for your input on this topic.

I have windows on C and giga/sonar audio on D.

I will grab another drive and put giga now on E.

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    fbelardino@score4post.com

Composer/Sound Designer
    www.score4post.com

Again, I recommend NOT partitioning either drive. It adds unnecessary complication and serves no purpose.

Plugs are apps, and would go on the C drive.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill:
    Again, I recommend NOT partitioning either drive. It adds unnecessary complication and serves no purpose.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bill

I reakized going back to tascam site you answered this already!

Dafrica

Thanks Bruce

I am going to take my harddrive i hacked into 4 partitions and merge back the 2 partitions with the main c: drive. ( the reason for Partitioning those was that I thought it would be better to put the apps like Cakewalk etc. on its own partition. After what you explained it makes so much sense not to do that and run all apps on the main drive. This is a Old Ultra ATA 5400 RPM drive, but wokd great. Then I do have a second drive on my IDE2 as a Primary master Partitioned. The one partition is at a 32k cluster, (for Gigasamples and other samples) then I have the other Partition dedicated to tha Audio/Wavedata only spinning at 7200 Rpm.
    I will use Partitionmagic to merge the partitions back on the main drive.

ONE MORE QUESTION: What about Plug ins? Would you also put them on the main C drive, are they considered an app?

Thanks for all the help. I have searched this forum many times, and no one quite explained it as well as you did!

Dafrica

[This message has been edited by dafrica (edited 02-06-2002).]

Good GIGA drive?

Western Digital
    40.0GB capacity

7200 rpm for fast read/write capabilities

Ultra ATA/100 controller

Up to 100MB/sec. data transfer rate

8.9 ms average seek time

2MB cache buffer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes...VERY important. A partition serves no useful purpose for our needs, and only gives you potential for more data loss. SONAR and GIGA need to be reading/writing to two physically separate drives or there is no advantage--you\'ll still be asking a single device to serve two very disk hungry applications.

If you install your applications ONLY on your C: drive, get everything working perfectly, then use Ghost or other imaging software to make a perfect copy of this, you will be set. Store the \"ghosted\" image on another physical hard drive (like one of your data drives).

That way, if you ever have a problem, you just reformat your C: drive, restore the Ghost image, and you\'re up and running in ten minutes.

BUT...if you get sloppy and start letting applications write data to the C: drive, you\'re screwed...at that point, you\'re losing work.

The probability of hard drive failure is 100%. Always remember that. It is not a matter of if, just when. If you are prepared, you will thank yourself. If you are not, the feeling of devastation and the realization of your folly is the only training you\'ll ever need to never repeat the mistake. It will eventually happen, sure as the sun comes up. Be prepared.

And if you can afford thorwing a little more to it use the fastest IDE HD ever: Western Digital Caviar WD1200JB (120gb) or any other HD of this JB series. Read the review at www.storagereview.com

Go Back to forum