• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Christmas music propositions

Share/Bookmark

Christmas music propositions

Anyone else being asked for use of thier Garritan Christmas music by a third party? I dont want to go into details but I've been appproached. Please PM or email me if you have. Just looking for info about this. The company said they were interested in many tracks from Garritan.com, mine included. Thanks.

Eric

Re: Christmas music propositions

Did this come from Dreamfire Music by any chance? I got an e-mail from them just a couple of hours ago.

For those of you who haven't heard, they're wanting to use some of the music from past Christmas CDs in a Holiday DVD of some kind, which will be distributed free to their "members" and the participating artists.

I haven't replied yet, I thought I'd sleep on it and reply in the morning.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Yeah, that's the one. Kind of hits me wrong when they are offering thier "members" free music at the expense of all of our labor. I know that some might see it as an opportunity for exposure but, please dont forget that there is a principle involved here. I am assuming that the "members" are paying for something like a "membership". If this dvd/cd is a gift to "paying members", it means that this corp is getting free labor/music and giving it away to paying members. Jsut seems like free marketing to me. It's probably not in a mean-spirited way but just a little ignorant or presumtive. Please think about your hard work and realize that your music IS worth something before you give it away for nothing. Thanks.

Eric

Eric, I agree with you about how you feel. I would suggest telling them that you are not in a position to give your music away, and that they have to get written permission from Gary Garritan. It is an honest thing that they are doing by asking for permission first.

It is copyrighted by Garritan Corp. and just because it is freely downloadable from Garritan's site, does not mean it can be used for other projects without written consent from Garritan Corp.

Dan

Well I slept on it and then wrote them a letter saying no in the nicest way I could think of. It's still flattering being asked for use of my music, even when it's for free. I guess that's just the artist in most of us. But after being paid for some work over the years, I hate to be taken advantage of. They said that they were going to try to get many other contributors to the Garritan Christmas CD to release rights of thier music for use on this DVD/CD. I just hope everyone will think long and hard about the value they place on thier own art before granting permission.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    It is copyrighted by Garritan Corp. and just because it is freely downloadable from Garritan's site, does not mean it can be used for other projects without written consent from Garritan Corp.
    Dan, are you sure about this? Are you saying that if we have an opportunity to exploit our recordings, we need permission from Garritan Corp. first? I don't recall signing anything to that effect.

I keep going back and forth on the offer, but I think I might accept it. I have misgivings about licensing my music for free, but since the DVD itself is a freebie and distribution is limited, I don't think I stand to lose much by allowing my music to be used in it, especially if they're going to credit me. If the DVD was going to be for sale/widely distributed, it would be a different story.

I'm still not sure, though. I'll give myself another few hours to decide. (Talk me out of it if you think it's a bad decision! )
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Funny story, true, too:

Filmmaker: We don't have much money for this film project, so funds are limited.
    Composer (me): HOW limited?
    Filmmaker: VERY limited... is $X ok?
    Composer: (hesitation about smallish amount), well, ok.
    Filmmaker: AND I can promise you lots more film work afterwards.. i'm negotiating for a full-length feature film, and I REALLY want YOU to write the music
    Composer: All right, I'll do it.

years later

Composer: So, that full-length feature film I was supposed to score for you, um, I saw the DVD at my local video store...
    Filmmaker: Yeah, cool eh?
    Composer: Well, considering I was supposed to write the music for it.. and quite obviously didn't.. umm... no, not "cool eh".
    Filmmaker: Did you notice? I put the 1st movie that you scored for me on the DVD as an extra feature. Cool eh?
    Composer: Yes, actually, I noticed.. that's the only reason you and I are talking right now. So, do I get paid for the DVD release of the score of my 1st movie?
    Filmmaker: No. Why? Should you?
    Composer: Yes.
    Filmmaker: Oh well, too bad, so sue me.
    Composer: <telephones lawyer, and discovers that it will cost more to sue than will come back in actual dollars and cents)

Yes qccowboy, this is often an unfortunate reality. The offer has already been made towards future projects on this one too and it just sits in my stomach badly.

Dan, I cant persuade you one way or the other. You're right that there's not much being lost in this case. To me it's just trying to set a standard of behaviour for other composers regarding use of thier music. I dont think there is a really clear right or wrong here. I just want everyone to value thier own music enough that they dont let others exploit thier hard work for free. That said, I certainly wouldnt think any less of you for going ahead with it.

Should I be insulted that I wasn't even approached?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    Dan, are you sure about this? Are you saying that if we have an opportunity to exploit our recordings, we need permission from Garritan Corp. first? I don't recall signing anything to that effect.
    Dan,

The work remains 100% the artists' and you do not need our permission. This album is offered freely for the forum community and to the public for private use only. From time to time a commercial entity is interested in using the music and we always refer them to the artist. In the past some artists received compensation. Other times, a person heard a song on the Christmas album and liked it so much they hired artists for a project.

I hope this clarifies the situation. And I hope good things come from paticipating in the Community Christmas album.

My best,

Gary

Go Back to forum