• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My monitors have a very disturbing echo...

Share/Bookmark

My monitors have a very disturbing echo...

Hi,

The room where I'm working with my music is rather small (3.60m x 2.70m).
    It isn’t prepared yet for the large monitors (nEar05 classic) that I have now.

Problem: my ears are suffering from too much echo, even when lowered as much as possible.

Since I have no knowledge about such things here is my question:

Is there a way to continue using these monitors but in some way reduce the echo they produce, without going through putting absorbing materials on all the walls (which I can’t afford right now)?

I'm looking for simple and quick solutions...

Thanks,

Yudit

Re: My monitors have a very disturbing echo...

Try pillows? Anything plush and absorbent should help to deaden the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Try pillows? Anything plush and absorbent should help to deaden the sound.
    Thanks, Reegs, for the suggestion, but I don't have enough pillows... lol

I was thinking about doing something with or around the monitors themselves.

Will it damage the monitors if I put something absorbing in front of them (about 10 cm from them)?

Or even cover them all around with enough space in between??

Actually there are DIY ways of treating your room, in order to reduce echo/reverb/bass/etc.

It would be good to have someone who knows (which is NOT me), to let you know what you need to do.

In general, one thing is a carpet on the floor. If the floor is reflecting is one of the big parts of reflection in general, so a carpet will help.

Windows should get a think (breathable though) curtain.

Finally walls (but someone should get the blueprints, in order to tell you exactly WHERE to put them), can get these absotbent thingys. Actually you CAN make these with very few $. Just need someone to point you to the right direction (I'm in Greece, so can't help really, nor I feel that I know). Bass traps usually go to the corners, and so on.

But the main thing is that YOU can make these, which would resort to less than $200... This is not a major amount of money, I have to confess, but then again I'm not you, so can't be too sure...

The other simple way of getting rid of every problem in your room is heaphones. Various problems but you will get a clean sound, if you get GOOD heaphones.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    If the floor is reflecting is one of the big parts of reflection in general, so a carpet will help.
    But the main thing is that YOU can make these, which would resort to less than $200...
    The other simple way of getting rid of every problem in your room is heaphones.
    Thanks, nikolas, for your answer.

Yes, I have a stone floor. I did put now some small carpets on the floor and it helped a little.

$200 is too much for me right now... but I will explore the possibilities to see if I can reduce the sum.

No, no headphones for me... can't stand the things...

Yudit

Yudit, it might be a bit too warm in Israel for you to use a duvet of a night, but anything like that - a rug for instance, suspended a little away from the wall if possible, will really help stop reflections.
    The duvet solution is a bit of a cliche I know but it really works well. I make really dry recordings in a my slightly live recording room by putting up a boom mike stand as high as possible with the boom at right-angles and drape a large duvet over it. If the instrumentalist or voice over sits in front of this, facing a good cardiod mike it's as dry as a dry thing.

It'll keep you warm too..

best

Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by BarrieB View Post
    Yudit, it might be a bit too warm in Israel for you to use a duvet of a night, but anything like that - a rug for instance, suspended a little away from the wall if possible, will really help stop reflections.
    The duvet solution is a bit of a cliche I know but it really works well. I make really dry recordings in a my slightly live recording room by putting up a boom mike stand as high as possible with the boom at right-angles and drape a large duvet over it. If the instrumentalist or voice over sits in front of this, facing a good cardiod mike it's as dry as a dry thing.

It'll keep you warm too..

best

Barrie
    Thanks, Barrie, for your suggestions. The duvet might keep me warm in winter, but for summer I'll need something else...

I was thinking of covering the walls with fleece blankets. They are cheap, light and thick enough to absorb, and quite easy to hang. And if it doesn't work I can still use them...

Yudit

Sounds to me like you room really needs treatment. I know what you mean by ear fatigue from echo. In a room as small as yours, the best thing you can probably do is deaden it as much as possible which means bass traps in the corners and mid to high frequency absorption on the walls. It does take money to do it right but at this point, anything in that room should help. Couch cusions work really well for this kind of thing. I wouldnt put anything in front of the speakers if you can avoid it. The echo is coming from the reflections in the room, not within the speakers themselves. Also, anything you can put in the room such as furniture with padding will help absorb and diffuse reflections. Hope this helps.

Eric

The dimensions of your room are about the size of my kids bathroom. Are you sure your not recording in your bathroom? Mine has excellent echo for singing!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    I stuffed some hand towels into the bass port! Problem solved.
    Maybe you could drape some sheets over the speakers. --- I know that us owners of the old Yamaha NS-10M's sometimes put paper over the tweeters to make them sound more mellow.
    Ern, thanks for your feedback and for your picture. I like your solution of 'art work'.

Excuse my ignorance, but by 'bass port' do you mean the hole in the back of the monitors??

Wouldn't putting anything directly on the tweeters/woofers damage them in some way?

Go Back to forum