• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is this possible???

Share/Bookmark

Is this possible???

I've got a quick question. I'm running Logic on my MacBook Pro, and I've also got a PC running Sonar. Sonar comes with some cool sounds that won't run in Logic because they are VSTs. Is there a way that I can connect the computers, maybe via an ethernet chord and have Logic open the plugins through Sonar? Or am I asking too much here?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Lightbulb Re: Is this possible???

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    I've got a quick question. I'm running Logic on my MacBook Pro, and I've also got a PC running Sonar. Sonar comes with some cool sounds that won't run in Logic because they are VSTs. Is there a way that I can connect the computers, maybe via an ethernet chord and have Logic open the plugins through Sonar? Or am I asking too much here?
    I don't know anything about Logic, but could you do this via MIDI?
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Re: Is this possible???

Quote Originally Posted by GDG View Post
    I don't know anything about Logic, but could you do this via MIDI?
    ??????? I have not idea. (thats why I'm asking) ?????????

I have ways to connect both computers via MIDI, but I know that won't take the audio output from cakewalk and put it into Logic. I also have a PreSonus Firebox and an External Hard Drive if any of these can help me with what I'm trying to do.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

You cannot open the VST plugins no matter how you hook up Mac to PC, they are two different operating systems. However, if you can find a Mac version of the VST engine running the sound banks, then indeed, it may be possible. So to this I will ask the following...

What is the VST engine?
    Is there a Mac version of the engine available?
    What particular sound package is it you want that is not available for Mac?

After a little research, I have found that many of the instrument packages made for Cakewalk will work with Macintosh. Have you checked your installer CD to see if there is a Mac installer?

Here is what I would do if the above is not possible. Take the analog out from your PC and run it into your analog in to your Mac. No effects, just clean sound. Record it as an analog track right into Logic. Now add reverb or whatever effect to that track in Logic. That is sort of a backward way of doing it, but it gets the audio in there to work with.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Try Wormhole by Plasq. This software transmits the audio over a network cable and it is cross-platform. I have not tested this myself, but intend to soon.

Rob

Do you have separate audio interfaces? I've got 2 machines connected by lightpipe. I run Sonar on my primary machine and use MIDIoverLAN to play the softsynths on the second machine. The synth computer's outputs are routed to the lightpipe channel into my primary computer, which lets me easily record all the audio from the softsynths in Sonar. Works perfectly.

http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Quote Originally Posted by schneb View Post
    You cannot open the VST plugins no matter how you hook up Mac to PC, they are two different operating systems. However, if you can find a Mac version of the VST engine running the sound banks, then indeed, it may be possible. So to this I will ask the following...

What is the VST engine?
    Is there a Mac version of the engine available?
    What particular sound package is it you want that is not available for Mac?

Here is what I would do if the above is not possible. Take the analog out from your PC and run it into your analog in to your Mac. No effects, just clean sound. Record it as an analog track right into Logic. Now add reverb or whatever effect to that track in Logic. That is sort of a backward way of doing it, but it gets the audio in there to work with.
    I'm not even sure what they're called, but plugins that came with Sonar. I haven't used it in a while, but i was just hoping that there was some way of doing it. I thought about the method you mentioned, but I was hoping there was an easier way.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    I thought about the method you mentioned, but I was hoping there was an easier way.
    It would be like trying to make Garritan samples work with a Windows version of ARIA, it is not designed for the Mac--you need the Mac version of ARIA. The samples are the same from Windows to Mac, but the engine to run them is different.

Again, what are the instruments that you want? It may be that there is a Mac version available.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

If you can load the VSTs in a non-Sonar host, the easiest way would be to load them in a Mac subhost, f.ex Kore 2/SE. Kore can run as an AU plugin while holding VSTs.

There is a pluggin that wraps VSTs into AU format. Its not perfect, but works with many common VST pluggins.

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5

Maybe that could be an alternative solution for you...

Go Back to forum