• Register
  • Help

Topic: I sampled my stomach

Share/Bookmark

I sampled my stomach

I was checking out some of the new tonehammer stuff and one of the guys who works there made an entire song out of one sampled clap, and it was really good. So i figured why not try it myself. I just smacked myself in the stomach pretty hard and recorded it. Then programmed it into exs24 and made one that sustains and one with just the hits. i added some effects and automation, and i was totally blown away. granted, its a big techno-ie but still cool. I'll make sure to post when i'm done. But i was just curous if anyone has done anything like this? made any music out of weird samples they made themselves?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: I sampled my stomach

Not particularly samples I've made myself. But I do run a project with my year 10 students where I make them write a piece using just one sample - it makes them think a lot about the nature of sound, use of EQ, granular synthesis, and all kinds of bizarrely creative ways to destroy a sound.

In fact I'm doing it in about 10 minutes.
    David

Yeah, I tried that a year ago. While standing between two mics I slapped myself really hard in the head and .... well .... nothing.

So, are ya gonna post this work of yours?

David - thats awesome. Can you post any of them? I found that this little exercise really helped me to understand my DAW a lot better and it got me to use things that I was always too afraid to mess with beforehand (vocoder, strange plug-ins, even the EQ). I'm sure people have done things like this plenty of times before and there are probably some incredible results. Mine is just so-so. Its just cool to know that everything is just one sample, and in this case my belly.

Here is the link to my end result. There's a lot more I wanted to do with it, and I also didn't give the end a final mix or anything. But to be honest, I'll probably be busy on other things before I have the chance to get back with it. Oh well, it was a fun couple of hours.

http://keithjfuller.googlepages.com/BellySmackTake3.mp3
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hey Keith,
    I have to say I am amazed at how much you got out of a simple smack on the belly! Wow. Very cool!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    Yeah, I tried that a year ago. While standing between two mics I slapped myself really hard in the head and .... well .... nothing.
    Not even a hollow log sound?

Rob

That's cool Keith. How did you do the pitched sounds - were there other sounds involved in the vocoding? I've limited my guys to literally using just one sound, so some of them are struggling for pads and the like.

I let them tell me what sample to use, whilst I was demonstrating, and they chose me a snare drum. So I got a pitched sound by retriggering the sound incredibly frequently, until the speed of retriggering became an audible frequency.

I'm not in school anymore, but if I remember I'll try and post some stuff next week.
    David

getting the pitches was actually pretty easy. i made two instruments - one was literally just the plain old sound for some of the percussive "instruments" and I did lost of EQing to get them sounding different. The second instrument I programmed into EXS24. I assigned the sample to a C4, so it made all the other notes on the keyboard correspond to the keys. I then set it to loop about 1/100 which gave it an organ-like sound.

Other than that I just used lots of effects like tremolo, phasers, delays, etc. Mostly, I automated the EQ (filter sweeping I think it's called) which gave the sounds a feeling of movements. I only used the vocoder slightly because it was (and still is) extremely new to me.

But if you can find some of the old one sound works, I'd love to hear them.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Very cool Keith

Go Back to forum