• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need help with IK offer - to buy or not to buy

Share/Bookmark

Need help with IK offer - to buy or not to buy

I have received an offer where I can get one of the following for $199 and another plug free.

SampleTank 2.5 XL
    Miroslav Philharmonik
    Sonik Synth 2
    SampleMoog™
    SampleTron

I was thinking about Miroslav and SampleTank, or Soniksynth I now I can get it for $99 - but it would be my "free" one), however, I have a lot of VI's.
    All the Spectrasonics(RMX, Omni, Atmos, Trilogy), Vienna Appasionata/Chamber and Solo Strings. Ivory, Superior 2, Real Guitar and Strat and all the Logic instruments as well. I also have GPO and Kontakt2 but never use them.

I write mostly Pop/R&B and Pop/Rock - fairly involved arrangements and production.

So, will any of these VI's from IK give me something new and exciting, or am I pretty much loaded for bear?

Thanks!~ MATT
    http://www.mattdean.com

Re: Need help with IK offer - to buy or not to buy

Hi Matt,

I bought SS2 in a group buy much earlier in the year but had major problems with it on my G5 Quad (with Logic 8 & 6.5GB RAM), such that I couldn't load a sound without it crashing the whole project. I went through extensive testing with IK support but in the end they failed to fix it, or refund and basically left me for dead.

My only salvation was that the group buy had included a free copy of Sampletank, which works just fine and I am able to load all the SS2 sounds into that.

Whether this helps you or not might depend on the system you are running, and/or whether or not you are lucky enough to get SS2 working for you. But whatever you decide as your main sound collection, it might be worth getting Sampletank as the second option, just in case you run into difficulties.

Incidentally, looking at your VI lineup, it's almost exactly the same as mine!!

Personally, I don't think you would be missing anything by passing on this one. Certainly with Omni in your arsenal there is little need for SS2. Except to say that it did get me out of trouble on a recent (low budget) project, just because Sampletank with the SS2 sounds, uses so little CPU and RAM. I could load up usable sounds to my heart's content and not worry about crashing. But they are just samples after all - nothing like what Omni can do.

I would be keeping my money in my pocket and waiting for the next big thing.

Just my 2p (I'm from England! )

Thanks for the 2P!

I had read your posts about your problem. That sucks. Good you could work around it though.

I think I may let this one go as you suggest. I also have 3 hardware synths - Roland XV5080, Korg Triton Rack and Yamaha S90. I think they may cover any holes in my sound base.

Don't want them just sitting there like Kontakt is.

Cheers mate!

i would suggest that you rather spend the money for some of the cool Kontaktlibs out there to get your moneys worth out of your Kontakt investment.
    The new Chris Hein horns are a treat and also the stuff from Sonic Couture.
    Or check out Orangetreesamples or Scarbee.
    That stuff totally rocks and complements your existing gear beautifully.

Or get some additional Rexlibs for your Stylus RMX.
    Ninevoltaudio has some great titles and there is some cool stuff at Esoundz in that format too.

Hans

Thanks Hans,

I'll consider that.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    Or get some additional Rexlibs for your Stylus RMX.
    Ninevoltaudio has some great titles and there is some cool stuff at Esoundz in that format too.

Hans
    I second the notion of grabbing some Nine Volt stuff -- I've found that material to be incredibly useful and inspiring. Just not enough superlatives to describe how much I've appreciated their work... When I need to put something together fast, I turn to Spectrasonics and Nine Volt -- seriously...

Weird (or perhaps just excellent taste ) - our hardware lineup is also almost exactly the same. I have an XV5080 plus Triton Studio!

Well, I guess it must be a good mix then!

I almost never use the synths anymore, but I can't bear to get rid of them.

Me too, but again, they did get me out of trouble on a recent project when I had too many VIs in play.

Go Back to forum