• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Golden Mean - Movement 2

Share/Bookmark

Golden Mean - Movement 2

Here is the little lyrical second movement to the Piano Concerto I started earlier this month. Tempo is set to "mysterioso".

I hope you enjoy this. Caution, though, the movement ends rather up in the air as eventually the sound of the 3rd movement will come out of the ethereal sound of the resonating strings.

Here is:

Golden Mean mvmt. II

Here is a link to the complete 3 movement work.

Piano Concerto Op. 1
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Golden Mean - Movement 2

Rich,

This is shape'n up to be quite a concerto!!! Can't wait to hear the last movement. I like the contrast here to the first movement...the thinner texture and orchestration and bringing in a variant of the main theme from the first movement in the center of this movement, first with piano and then strings, really ties it all together. You're a highly gifted composer. Thanks for sharing.

Cass

Cass,

I like the contrast here to the first movement...the thinner texture and orchestration and bringing in a variant of the main theme from the first movement in the center of this movement, first with piano and then strings, really ties it all together.
    You heard all that, WOW! I thought the motives from the first movement might be missed. I hinted at the thinner texture in brief moments in the first movement and wanted to give some of the players a chance to play dialogue with the piano.

Thanks for listening and responding so quickly after my post!

Rich

Rich

This is such a contrast from the first movement. Do you know how many there will be?

If 3 movements, then of course this one is in the perfect place and I assume that the 3rd will take back off again. But if you go for more movements, who knows?

Now that I have read Cass's post, I feel like I'm missing things, because I did miss the theme from the first being in the second. My excuse is that it has been a while since hearing the first movment.

Well done!

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks for the comments, Ron. And yes there will only be 3 movements. I am sure I will have made plenty of use from my number set.
    The theme from the first movement is in the pizzicato sections and is altered rhythmically from 6/8 to 4/4 time so it is not quite the same as for when the accents occur.

The 3rd will be presto and hopefully meld the first and second movements into a complete piece.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Unfortunately, I missed the 1st movement, but I think this movement stands alone well on its own. The texture is very spare, but the intensity focuses the listener.

I listened to it yesterday, and I guess the fact that it didn't seem to fit the mold of a 'typical' piano concerto threw me off a little bit. But hearing it again today, I was much more impressed with it. As the old song goes 'What a Difference a Day Makes'.

I enjoyed it very much.

Best Regards,

Jack

Jack,

Thanks for the comments and listening a couple times. I know this is a little different than normal piano concerti but then why not?

The texture is sparse and relates to some of the ideas of the 1st movement. You should really hear them back to back. Here is a link to movement 1:

Golden Mean mvmt. I

and of course hear is the link to this piece.

Golden Mean mvmt. II

Having them together may help!

Rich

This is very interesting, Rich!

This kind of sharp ideas could be used in a new thriller! Maybe a thriller that unravels the mysteries of the old Sumerians, 5000 BC!

Fred

Where do you come up with these story plots? What a creative and imaginative mind you have!
    Thanks for listening and commenting on the piece. I appreciate it!

Rich

The Summerians were the first to discover the Golden Mean.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast