• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Serving Hungarian Budapesto on a Spaghetti Western Ranch.

Share/Bookmark

Serving Hungarian Budapesto on a Spaghetti Western Ranch.

And yes, this is one of the silliest pieces I’ve written in awhile, but the mood struck me…so here it is.

This bizarre entry of “Suite Musical Desserts #4” is dedicated to Ron. And before I go further…. I don’t think you’re silly Ron. The dedication has nothing to do with your intrinsic personality or music. In fact, you probably won’t even like it, it is strictly 19th century harmony with no dissonance (well, very little). But….you always make me laugh at your retorts to my pieces. You’re someone I would enjoy going out for a cup of coffee with and shoot’n the breeze . I’m glad you’re on this forum!

Anyway, I think the jocosity of this piece is what makes it…(and saves it!) Just a nice spunky piece to get you going. It actually has a lot to do with my heritage. Both my grandparents on my mom’s side were Hungarian. My grandmother was a Gypsy and my grandfather was a son of a Baron from..(yes for real)..Transylvania. { And no….I don’t have elongated incisors or canine teeth upon a full moon.} {new moon perhaps...but}

I was born on a ranch and lived there during my single-digit years until we moved to Iowa. I have fond memories of the place. Hence, the western idiom in the piece. I know….. what a juxtaposition of styles. But that kind of reflects my personality, so it’s not that far off the mark.

As for the piece, I use realllllllly old samples on this one. It is for string orchestra and solo violin plus a few percussion for color. The strings are 90% GOS with the aggressive string accents and percussion coming from Siedlaczek’s Advanced Orchestra, which I bought around 11 years ago.

The violin….frankly….sucks. Unfortunately, I missed out on the Garritan’s Strad and I only have a really old solo violin that sounds like a Moog synthesizer that’s been bitten by a Vampire and has had all its timbre sucked out of it. LOL.

So if you can overlook that, I hope you enjoy the piece.

Cass

Hungarian Budapesto

Re: Serving Hungarian Budapesto on a Spaghetti Western Ranch.

Detective Clousseau would love this piece!
    You use nice sweeping glisses in the strings to carry your jovialness across. I like that!

hehe... and the horse hooves added to boot (pun intended)!

This is a very fun piece. Thanks for sharing this!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Cass

IS it me?

No you must be talking about someone else because I don't drink coffee.

But on the other hand I do like taking out my .357 and shoot'n at the breeze, ( I always hit it BTW).

The first time I opened up this thread, all I did was listen to the music. The next time I read the first few lines and listened again all the while thinking that this was more westernlike than Hungarian (and of course wondering who Ron was), but the Solo violin and tamborine do scream out gypsy/Hungarian music.

Now that I have read the entire post and see where you are coming from, I must say that this is a great melding of the two styles.

Gypsys getting ready to go out and herd cattle, all while fighting off the Apaches.

Can't get better than that.

Thank you sir for the dedication and I hope I brought out a smile.

Very well done, even if the samples are old (aren't we all?)

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Cass:

This type of music is what keeps our minds "active" and our
    bodies "trim." Very engaging sounds with great harmonic
    changes.

Really enjoyed visiting Hungary for a few minutes.........lol

BRAVO, Cass

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Silly?!?!?! Yes. But I loved it. Do you have older samples around? Give them a go and maybe another great piece.....

Raymond

Hi Cass, nice job and good orchestration. My piano teacher´s parents are from Hungary too. For this reason i am familiarized with its folk music and i like it. Is very vivid and sparkling. Is admirable the amount of musical styles you can manage and you do it with great ability. Congratulations!.

Victor

Cass,

I had the feeling that you had an interesting heritage...
    My grandparents were Austrian, so not far away from yours...

First of all, I don't think this piece is silly in any way. It is lively and fun and very like the Hungarian music that I have heard (and which I like), and the western idiom is (for me) only slightly felt.

You really have a wealth of ideas (from wherever they come) and you certainly know what to do with them... to our enjoyment...

I wonder what will come next...

Yudit

Oy! It's a Jewish hoedown ...and delightful it is! I can see people in Miss Yudit's homeland dancing in a circle.

Nice one, Mr. Cass. I enjoyed your latest musical effort and I thank you for posting it. Very entertaining and creative.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Detective Clousseau would love this piece!
    Rich,

I can easily see Clousseau in disguise as a Gypsy in costume with fiddle or concertina at hand tracking down the villain who stole the chickens.
    I’m glad the music fostered unusual images for you. That was the intent in writing it., to create a different backdrop for our aural imagination.

Thanks for listening,

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Cass

IS it me?

No you must be talking about someone else because I don't drink coffee.
    Ron
    Ron,

No coffee stimuli and you still have all that energy to go to school, compose, and keep up with the forums on the net? WOW what is your substitute. I’ll take some.
    Gypsys getting ready to go out and herd cattle, all while fighting off the Apaches.

Can't get better than that.
    Ron
    You confirmed what I said about you….you always get a good line in that makes my sides ache. As for which Ron I’m talking about, well it is toi…..I guess it’s like looking in mirror, we see ourselves completely differently than how other people see us. Perhaps the same holds true listening to ones own music versus how other’s perceive our music. At any rate, I hold to my conviction that somewhere in thou, there must be a little of the gypsy or rancher, probably gypsy since I don’t think they drink coffee.

Thank you sir for the dedication and I hope I brought out a smile.

Ron
    And yes Ron, you brought out a very wide smile on my face with your response, I think it came from your latest piece, (Jabberwocky) in the form of the Cheshire Cat. lol

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast