• Register
  • Help

Topic: Receptor

Share/Bookmark

Receptor

anybody using this product here? I'm giving it consideration but have many concerns

1) It seems to take forever to get new plugins "recepterized" Ex: BFD2, EWQLP, Altiverb, Superior Drummer (DKFH is supported but has been replaced by Superior drummer), Omnisphere, etc... all not available.

2) any time a company comes out with a new version it has to wait for Muse to get around to receptorizine it. EVERY TIME and this can months... BFD2 has been out for months and months

3) Only 2 gig ram... not enough

Help me here, what am I missing?

I'm thinking of getting a new bullet proof mac pro 8 core and would like to know if anybody here has experience with one and how many virtual instruments you can run without choking it??

Here is what I might use in a typical writing situation (I'm a composer and don't play "out" any more. Mostly jazz and Fusion

BFD2
    Altiverb
    Kontakt (black bass)
    the Trumpet (most awesome VSTI I own hands down, just buy it...)
    EWQLP (Steinway full patch)
    B4II
    Omnishpere

Will a new mac pro handle this without sinking to it's knees???

Right now my G5 2.0 4.5 gig ram can't keep up, sometimes cuts out with just EWQLP or BFD2 if I get an active song going.

Thanks for the help...

giga

Re: Receptor

in a typical session i will use one or two instances of RMX(thats 10-16 parts), 3-8 tracks of Omnisphere,Kontakt for bass, rhodes and brass, Vienna instruments for strings, a couple of EXS for generic stuff and SFX plus a whole lot of plug ins for audiotracks etc.
    On my 2.8 ghz 8 core this will give me about 30-40% of CPU usage.
    CPU power is so ridiculous high that i got into the habit of inserting Space Designers into single channels instead of using proper busses....

Right now RAM is the real bottleneck.
    Its pretty easy to max out the 3 GB that Logic allows for.

If you want to get some idea of how that sounds you can check my myspace page
    www.myspace.com/cosmicpassenger
    I can see is a typical example.
    Or check my videos at vimeo-these were all done on an 8core
    http://www.vimeo.com/user772171/videos

Just double the amount of stuff you hear and you would end up with about 20% of headroom left on a Macpro 8core

BTW
    i had the same G5 before and when i switched to the 8core it felt like i finally got the computer i always wanted and then some.
    The G5 really looks like a turtle in comparison.

Thanks, for the info!

Sounds like if I'm mostly doing studio work (which I am) that an 8 core of any speed would more than suit my needs.

I guess Logic needs to go 64 bit so we can use a bunch more ram

giga..

true
    but Jay Asher in another thread just stated that Apple/Lengeling said in an interview that they dont have any plans to port Logic to 64 bit because it would create as many problems as it solves and that there are other ways to overcome the ram limitations.
    I really hope that Apple will share those tricks with all thirdparty developers so we can benefit from them.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    true
    but Jay Asher in another thread just stated that Apple/Lengeling said in an interview that they dont have any plans to port Logic to 64 bit because it would create as many problems as it solves and that there are other ways to overcome the ram limitations.
    I really hope that Apple will share those tricks with all thirdparty developers so we can benefit from them.

Hans
    There is a rumour that Snow Leopard will only run 64bit applications. If this is the case then Logic, and all the other OSX apps will have to be ported to 64bit. However, in spite of all the leopard 64bit hype (which has turned out mostly to be a damp squib), I would be surprised to see many 64bit applications in OSX before Snow Leopard arrives.

D

There's a new kid on the block.
    Instead of buying new computer peripherals and going to 64bit for more problems, buying a Recptor is a good addition to a rig, as long as the I/O's are of good quality...

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?...ask=view&id=76

Caught a glimpse of this at Messe '08 and it showed some legs.
    I doubt any one item is the all in one answer, and constantly upgrading new parts is a hassle, at least to me. I prefer working instead of configuring.
    I started off w/ a single DAW and 3 x Scope cards, now I have 2 x DAW's and have all of my hardware analog synths routed into the projects, and select hardware effects. I can record, and use it live as it has paid itself off.
    It just seems that 64bit is a hassle for developers, a hassle for me, etc.
    The V Rack is basically a Supermicro OEM ITX w/ 2 GB's of RAM and while it won't be an all in one solution, it only needs to be inside of a project via the audio I/O's.
    I say if you have something that works, why play the chase the O.S. game, and keep adding new RAM & CPU's? Add the costs of the computer parts and O.S. upgrades, and ask yourself if it's worth the time and money.
    I upgraded to an XITE-1 and a hardware Solaris synth, which I am waiting for, and it looks like I can get a notebook and shrink my rig even more.
    For an app like BBB I am sure one would need an 8 core rig, but if you like 32bit apps and want to play instead of tweak look at a Receptor or V Rack.
    Personally, due to the compatability issues and turn around times for VSTi's due to the Linux O.S., I see the Receptors dropping in price as soon as the V Rack comes out in a couple of weeks.
    At the end of the day it's all about work flow, and what you are comfortable with.
    Someday we will be rid of these compatabity issues and O.S.'s.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum