• Register
  • Help

Topic: Delta 66 sound card/ headphones

Delta 66 sound card/ headphones

I have been trying now for over a year to get the music from my guitar into my computer.

I bought a new computer last year and it didn' have all that I needed. I bought Sonar and still not enough.

I bought a new sound card that I returned because it didn't have a vista driver so Sonar wouldn't see it.

Now I have a Delta 66 and since I work with headphones only, this seems to be worthless as well.

Now the store has talked me into buying a headphone amp and a Y splitter.

The idea is to plug this Y into 2 outputs from The delta 66 and it melds into one connector which gets plugged into a headphone amp. Supposedly, I plug my headphones into the amp and get my stereo back.

Does anyone know if I am being told the truth here?

My old soundcard, a Creative X fi had an extra 7 pin connection that led to a spot on the front of my computer where I could plug in my headphones. The Delta 66 does not have any place for headphones and no connection for the little 7 pin piece.

I just seem to be throwing money at all of this.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: Delta 66 sound card/ headphones

The setup they've sold definitely sounds like more than you need. What's the make/model on the headphone amp, and what type of Y-splitter did they sell you (1/4"x 2TS to 1/4"TRS, male to male)?

The general idea will be to monitor through either Sonar or use the signal splitting and routing on the 66 to send a direct out of your guitar to outputs 1&2, which then go into the headphone amp as a single stereo signal to be turned into the proper signal for headphones.

It should work.

They are sending me an ART Headamp4 and all he said was the Y connector I would need. I am only paying $30 dollars for it all since I have been having all these problems. The amp lists for 80, but they sell it for 65 and I have no idea about the cable.

What I am most concerned about is getting the same stereo after the signal goes thru all of this. I do all of my work thru Sonar, so I am not doing this to hear what I am playing, but to hear what sonar is putting out, so I can play.

The guitar is secondary to doing all of my work in Sonar. Does that make sense?

Send back the Delta 66 and all the other hardware. Buy an Edirol FA-66 and be done with it. Edirol and Sonar get along very well from everybody on the Sonar forum says and it has all the inputs you seem to need all in one place - mic inputs, an instrument hi-Z input for your guitar and a headphone jack. It also has MIDI I/O as well.

Here's the URL: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=731&ParentId=114

The solution the music store guy is promoting is pretty klugey and will only lead to more confusion. Keep it simple and go with the right interface in the first place.
    Last edited by bmdaustin; 11-15-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: omitted information
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Hi Ron,

You'll get the proper signal.

The 66 would send a mono signal over its output 1 and a mono signal over its output 2. These are likely set up as a stereo pair in its driver settings, so on your master output bus in Sonar you'll be able to select "Delta 66-1/2 Stereo" or something similar as a stereo output. From there, the Left channel travels on 1 and the Right on 2.

Here's a nicely labeled Y-cable: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/IPBQ2Q3--Main

As you can see, the two Tip-Sleeve (TS) cables are named "Ring" and "Tip." That means that the "Tip" TS cable's signal will show up on the Tip of the tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) end and the "Ring" TS signal will appear on the TRS ring. Now you have a stereo signal on the one cable, which goes into the headphone amp as the line level signal, and the amp tweaks it for headphone level

This concept also works in reverse for splitting a stereo signal to two mono's.

(TRS plugs are used for mono signals as well. In these applications, the sleeve carries the ground like it does in a TS, but the added ring carries the tip signal out of phase. This configuration makes the signal less susceptible to hum and interference. XLR cables are essentially big TRS cables.)

Hope that helps,

Edit: I agree with Paul's suggestion, however.

That was what I was hoping to hear. All of this is coming from the same store as your picture, so I may be getting that exact cable.

I know so little about the live end of these things. I compose so much in the Sampled world that I just don't get out much I guess.

But I have wanted to include my guitar and wanted a little better sound card that was designed for making music vs Creative's X FI which is designed for games and such.

I have heard a lot of good things concerning the Delta 66 and Sonar, so once I get set up, I think it will all work for me.

The Edirol FA-66 sounds great, but it is not PCI (which I wanted) and is way out of my price range.

Thanks again, I will sleep better tonight.

FWIW, Sweetwater.com has the FA-66 on sale for $279.99 right now. From your description, it would appear that that's about what you have invested with the music store in your Delta 66, splitter cable, and headphone amp. Just a thought........
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

I'm using a 192 card but its basically the same.

The four outputs from the 66 will be Left, Right, Left Monitor, Right Monitor, the other two channels being digital.

The outputs are line level and need to be reduced to headphone level. No Y splitter should be needed if the headphone amp has left and right inputs. I would steer well clear of the Y splitter as there are two types. One type just runs 2 headphones off a single line. This will bugger-up your sound card as it just joins the cables together. What you really need is a very small mixer, with headphone output. Plug each output into the mixer and feedback into the inputs. Watch the levels though.

This is ideal as you can then multi track record, hear what you recorded and what you're playing whilst recording only what you're playing.

Thats the system I use.

I kept my old Creative card in the machine when I updated (its a sounblaster). Turned it on both worked fine, although they wont both do the same thing at the same time
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Go Back to forum