• Register
  • Help

Topic: Phasing Effect

Phasing Effect

We all know when we mix some sample-instruments together, playing the same notes, that then we can listen to a more or less phasing effect.

When we listen to a real Orchestra we do not hear this phasing effect.

What do you thik is the reason?

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Re: Phasing Effect

The samples are in tune with themselves all of the time whereas instruments played by humans in real time are constantly out of tune to some degree - enough so that phasing is rarely apparent until pitches are brought extremely close together. Also, with live players, you're dealing with two or more different timbres which are not going to match up exactly, making phasing much less likely.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

So, can it be true that this phasing is a result because we only use 12 notes per octave, and in the real world there are hundrets and more per octave?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I believe the problem is not in a "perfect tune" but in the fact that VIs use samples - digital recordings that are always the same. So if some instrument doesn't have many (at least two) variations (samples) of the same note in the same velocity range, you will happen to play exactly the same soundwave. For example, if you have such one instrument on two different tracks and in both tracks you play the same note at exactly the same time, you will have two identical waves stacked together 1:1 and you will get kind of "flanging" effect. If the starting point is slightly (very slightly) different, the same waves are stacked but with a little "delay" to each other which sounds probably even more annoying because you'll have an impression like the sound is coming from an "unidentified directions" (or sth).

The good example/proof of it is that when you stack the same note using VSL's "normal" strings and Appassionata strings, you get no phasing, although those strings are in tune. They are different recordings/waves and that's why you can play them unisono without problems.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

Interesting question. Actually with a real orchestra you do get phasing. The most extreme example of this is within a violin section. All the players play differently and probably not 100% in tune with each other (as if there was such a thing as in tune), but part of the sound you hear would, in other circumstances, be described as phasey. I've heard people remark that in certain recorded pieces they've heard that the violins sound fake, synthy and phasey, not realising that it actually was a live section. :>o

With samples you are much more likely to get phasing because of the "snapshot" nature of using samples. However, using different size sections with each other is very unlikely to produce ant sort of phasing.

Go Back to forum