• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Acoustic Upright Bass?

Share/Bookmark

Best Acoustic Upright Bass?

I am looking to maybe buy the Vienna uprights bass. I have the Vienna SE and really love the interface. With the conversion, it's around $95 US. Any other upright basses at or below this price range that sound as good. Chris Hein's looks nice but I think it's more money. Any other reccomedations would be appreciated. (I love Trilogy's sound but it is too much money)

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Best Acoustic Upright Bass?

manytone upright bass used to be in sale, only 16 dollars I believe

I prefer the VSL upright over Trilogy. And both are in a very different league than manytone.

My next library at Orange Tree Samples is going to be an upright bass. It features some new technology which allows you to smoothly slide from one note to any other note at any speed--while still using Kontakt's DFD mode. Each string will be sampled individually (with automatic string selection), so the slides will realistically remain on the same string of course.

Quote Originally Posted by gregjazz View Post
    It features some new technology which allows you to smoothly slide from one note to any other note at any speed...
    Wow. Can't wait to hear that.

(I bet Ron Carter would approve)

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    Wow. Can't wait to hear that.

(I bet Ron Carter would approve)
    Thanks, I can't wait either!

However, if you're looking for an extensive upright bass library this moment, I highly recommend the VSL upright bass. While it can be difficult to get it to sit well in the mix, it has a lot of articulations, and the sampled intervals are excellent.

did you try the upright from Sonivox that you can download and test?
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

I'm not sure of the current price point, but Larry Seyer's Bass is really good, too.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

In the Kore giveaway of Native Instruments there is a very nice Acoustic Bass, "Standing Jazz Bass" is the name of the preset. You simply need download and try it, is free.
    Marcelo Colina

Thanks for all of the input guys! I will definitely try out the Sonivox. I was hoping to stay under $100 and even half of that if possible. I do have the bass in Kontakt 3 which is quite nice but would like more articulations. The VSL Bass is tempting me the most as i love how it sounds in the demos and their interface is second to none IMHO.

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum