• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Solo Strings that Sound Real?

Share/Bookmark

Solo Strings that Sound Real?

Greetings, everyone.

I'm looking at a Solo Violin & Solo Cello sample library or VSTi that comes as close as possible to sounding real and expressive.

We already own VSL Solo Strings and KH's Solo Strings.

Does anyone have any experiences out there with Dan Dean Solo Strings, Xsample, Complete Classical Collection 2 or some of the other libraries that offer multiple articulations for these instruments?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by VStiMan; 11-17-2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: type-os

Re: Solo Strings that Sound Real?

We are still very far from having solo strings that sound anything close to the real thing.

With that said, xsample is not bad and it has some cool performance features.

If you have the money and the means you should resourt to real players though.
    , because what we have right now is very limited and it doesn't sound real at all.

I know a very good real violin & cello player who did many jobs via internet.

It is our well known Hannes.

If you like, contact him here: http://www.strings-on-demand.com/
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I am going to vote for Gofriller Cello and Stradivari. They simply are the easiest to use and behave like the real instruments. I guess you will have to wait till there back for sale with that new Aria Sampler.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat View Post
    I am going to vote for Gofriller Cello and Stradivari. They simply are the easiest to use and behave like the real instruments. I guess you will have to wait till there back for sale with that new Aria Sampler.
    I totally agree with this. They are truly unbelievable. They might not sound totally perfect, but I've heard these things fool me more than once. I'm no pro, but I've even been able to get some far out results. Here is a tune I started with the Gofriller - Concerto - , and like I said earlier I'm no pro audio guy. This example had virtually no EQing or any plugins. Just me and some decent convolution reverb (I guess that's a plugin).
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Smile Re: Solo Strings that Sound Real?

I still love and use regularly my Kirk Hunter solo strings, particularly the Romantic Violin with delayed vibrato.

I fool people all the time. Or at least I think I do.

Joel
    www.joeldouek.com

"Show me your Pasodoble!"

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    I know a very good real violin & cello player who did many jobs via internet.

It is our well known Hannes.

If you like, contact him here: www.frischat.com
    I will second the statement on using Hannes. He performed 3 violins, and a viola track for me on a song I wrote called "Reminiscing" which can be heard on www.seandockery.com In fact, 80% of all the strings on my last CD were performed by real performers. Once you hear the real deal performed by talented string players it is hard to to use samples.....especially on solo strings that need to sound convincing.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat View Post
    I don't think these things even come close to sounding real. They don't even come close to sounding good either, IMO.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I don't think these things even come close to sounding real. They don't even come close to sounding good either, IMO.

D
    Well I guess this is very relative to some people. I don't see how someone could say that the Strad and Gof don't even sound close to sounding good, but that is why we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I do agree that they are not perfect, but I'm curious as to how you could use the term "not even close." I don't mean this in an attacking way, I'm really just curious as to why you think this? Do they sound way too synthy? What attacks do you mean? It can't be the pizzicato can it (that's just straight forward real life recordings). You have control over the vibrato rate and intensity, so there is soooo much room for variation giving you the possibility to make it sound like it's actually being played. The portomento is totally controllable as well, and to me sounds incredibly natural if not overused. The harmonics are pretty much straight forward recordings as well, so I don't see how these don't even come close. There are also about 8 different attacks that can be used, once again giving you tons of space for realism.

I would agree that they both have the potential to sound terrible if no cc editing and reverb is involved, but just listening to some of the demos objectively shows that they have the potential to be great. I am not just comparing them to what else is out there, I'm comparing them to real instruments. If these don't even come close to sounding real or good, then what libraries do you think do (I'm not refering to solo string libraries, but all libraries)?

Some Examples: 1, 2

But like I said earlier, I don't mean this in a rude way. These instruments aren't my children, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Well, my opinion is that we live in exciting times.

Even though I am a professional string player I am not at all against using sampled strings, in the contrary I embrace this technology, own most string libraries (VSL, GOS, SE, SI, EW, KH, Bruese, GPO, GStrad, GGof, XSample) and use them myself a lot. And I honestly think that some demos done with string samples have been very convincing (and strongly hope that my own programming falls into the same category).

However especially with solo strings it turned out that most of the better sampled demos were done by users that have real-life experience with the actual instruments. And if you really want to get into the details you need skill, time and dedication.

As somebody that records both samples and live strings for money I can say that recording live is definitely faster if you want a first class result. Plus if you have full command over an instrument there are much more possibilities right at your fingertips. Therefore I sometimes wonder why some composers take up the effort of programming days and days when having the same line recorded on a real instrument could be done in minutes and would not cost a fortune (your time, sample libraries and computer equipment are not free either and probably more expensive).

I am NOT saying it cannot be done at all with samples. But unless your time as a composer is several factors cheaper than the time of a studio musician it is less expensive to get it done.

The other factor that it depends on is what you really need as an end result in terms of quality, fascination and mojo. Do you need

- something that sounds 'related' or 'similar'
    - something that is good 'concerning the circumstances'
    - something that could 'fool your friends'
    - something that you can 'get away with' if not too long
    - or something that fascinates, evokes emotions, and impresses over a longer time

I think the more you get down in this table the more effective it is to use live recordings, especially with solo strings.

Again, I am not at all against samples and use them myself a lot. I think that composing with the help of samples is one of the best things that technology has brought us, and I also use them for portions of my own music production.

However I have my own test for quality: I play the music to non-musicians and wait until they show the first sign of disinterest like moving on their chairs, talking about something else etc.. It simply turns out that with sampled music this happens much earlier than if good live recordings are involved. This is of course true for all instruments but especially for solo strings.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum