• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO New Member

Share/Bookmark

GPO New Member

Hi to all,
    I have just purchased GPO version 3 and so this is my first post on your great forum.
    I am an absolute beginner with regards to computer music, but being a guitarist I can hold down a tune and can make my way around a keyboard!!
    With regards to GPO, as a beginner I am just having great fun making my way around the different instruments using the standalone mode. I must say I am genuinely impressed by the quality of the samples thus far. I just sold my Yamaha NP30 digital piano to buy a Novation X-station 61 and the Steinway Grand sample in GPO made the NP30 sound like a toy!!
    I just have two questions regarding GPO I would like to ask....
    I managed to find out how to apply the reverb effect to the loaded instrument in the Kontakt player. However, having heard so much about convolution reverb, and noticing there was 'convolution' in the effects list, I tried to give it a go but noticed there were no presets to select from as there is using the normal reverb effect. Am i doing something wrong?
    My second question relates to Multi's. Can someone please explain how to use these. As an example, if I load the first multi in the list (01 Woodwind Quintet), should I be hearing all five instruments when I play a note on my keyboard. At the moment all I hear is the first instrument in the multi (Flute Solo KS). Also what does 'Replace Multi, pressing NO will merge in the new instruments' mean?
    I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but if anyone could help that would be great!
    For info I am using GPO Version 3 which has Kontakt player version 2.2.3.003
    Any other tips for a beginner would be welcome. As I mentioned earlier, I am not using any other software at the moment, but I do have Cubase 4 Essential Edition, which I will load once I get my head around the basics with GPO.
    Thanks for your help.

Re: GPO New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The presets for the convolution reverb should be in the following folder: Program files/Native Instruments/Kontakt Player 2/Presets/effect/convolution. At least thats where they are in my setup. GPO and JABB currently.

In the OUTPUT highlight Cu then open edit and there should be an option to load presets.

If you can't find them try searching for "Concert Hall Far.nkp" on your machine. Its one of the presets, if you can't find it then its not been downloaded and installed.

The multis are a way of loading multiple sounds at one go. the woodwind quintet loads all five instruments that a normal quintet would have, one to each of five tracks. It just save you loading and preparing 5 different instruments. Each track plays as the usual way,to get a different instrument change channel.

Replace multis, will clear all the channels used and replace them with a new set of instruments, merging say the woodwind quintet with a string quartet will give you 9 instruments 5 woodwind, 4 strings

Its so much easier using the Cubase to control all the channel at once, in standalone you can only really use them one at a time
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Hi Derek,
    Thanks for the info. I found the impulses where you said they would be! The only slight difference being when I got to the convolution folder it was empty, but there was an 'impulses' folder alongside the effects folder. This had loads of different reverb types (cathedral etc) in it. They are wav files so I'm assuming they are what I'm after. I dragged one into the Kontact player and it seemed to load ok although I haven't tried playing anything with it yet.
    With the multis could you please tell me how I change the channel to play a different instrument within the multi?
    Thanks.

i've never used this kit as standalone, you definitely need a DAW like the Cubase as this gives you up to 16 instruments playing at once (actually more than that but then it starts to get complicated).

You change either the channel being sent by your keyboard to the channel number in the multi OR change the channel number on the multi to match that sent by your keyboard
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Go Back to forum